Skip to main content
Topic: bug: cursor position resets when undo/redoing "Audit Bar Lines" (Read 7747 times) previous topic - next topic

bug: cursor position resets when undo/redoing "Audit Bar Lines"

Why does NWC reset the current cursor position when undo/redoing the "Audit Bar Lines" operation? I believe this is another bug in NWC.

Re: bug: cursor position resets when undo/redoing "Audit Bar Lines"

Reply #1
Not a bug, but a feature that doesn't work the way you think it ought to work. When bar lines are audited, the program must think its way through the score. Apparently, it does not expect that the user would want to return to a particular point mid-way in the score. If users prefer otherwise, maybe that could be changed.

Reply #2
I think moving to the beginning of the line is a significant safety feature.  The audit bar lines feature can really mess you up if you've got any timing errors at all in your music.  Even an anacrusis will do it to you.

By going to the beginning of the staff, the user is automatically given the chance to check for problems as he or she scrolls to the right.

Reply #3
Wow!  You wrote "anacrusis!"
I thought I was the only one who uses that word!
Even whan I say it in front of professional musicians, I get blank stares (or a "who-what-now?").

Reply #4
Yeah, I was pretty impressed with myself, too.  I, um, picked up on the expression (from other discussions in these forums).

Happy New Year.

Reply #5
I think a "Section Open" barline placed immediately after the anancrusis will preserve it when Audit Barlines is used.

Reply #7
I think a "Section Open" barline placed immediately after the anancrusis will preserve it when Audit Barlines is used.

So will a double barline

Reply #8
[_Why does NWC reset the current cursor position when undo/redoing the "Audit Bar Lines" operation? I believe this is another bug in NWC._]

-->>the same thing happens for "Automatic Beam", "Transpose Staff", "Force Accidentals", "Audit Accidentals", "Audit Enharmonic Spelling", and "Audit Note Stems"

Reply #9
The jumps happen on the undo and redo operations only, with respect to the Automatic Beam, Transpose Staff, Force Accidentals, Audit Accidentals, Audit Enharmonic Spelling, Audit Note Stems operations.  This is probably an intended safety feature.  They don't happen when the initial operations are activated.

Reply #10
[_The jumps happen on the undo and redo operations only, with respect to the Automatic Beam, Transpose Staff, Force Accidentals, Audit Accidentals, Audit Enharmonic Spelling, Audit Note Stems operations. This is probably an intended safety feature. They don't happen when the initial operations are activated._]

-->>Well, this "safety feature" is indeed annoying.

Reply #11
Consider this: it is a safety feature, so something much more annoying probably would happen if it wasn't there...

Reply #12
[_The jumps happen on the undo and redo operations only, with respect to the Automatic Beam, Transpose Staff, Force Accidentals, Audit Accidentals, Audit Enharmonic Spelling, Audit Note Stems operations. This is probably an intended safety feature. They don't happen when the initial operations are activated._]

-->>Actually, the jump happens right after you use the following commands, but the screen won't refresh until you use undo or redo.

Reply #13
Your experience differs from mine.  Perhaps you've set one of options differently, but I don't see one that would be obvious.

Reply #14
The jumps happen on the undo and redo operations only, with respect to the Automatic Beam, Transpose Staff, Force Accidentals, Audit Accidentals, Audit Enharmonic Spelling, Audit Note Stems operations. This is probably an intended safety feature. They don't happen when the initial operations are activated.
Actually, the jump happens right after you use the following commands, but the screen won't refresh until you use undo or redo.
I meant "...the jump happens right after you use the following commands, but the scrollbar position won't change until you use 'undo' or 'redo', or press a directional key. And at this time, if you use "Goto Measure", you'll notice that it already displays "measure 1" in that window.".