Skip to main content
Topic: Downloading NWC files from the internet (Read 4115 times) previous topic - next topic

Downloading NWC files from the internet

I have created a web page which contains various NWC files which I would like people to be able to download. Unfortunately, when you click with the left button it does not say it is downloading it replaces the web page with various symbols and letters from the file. Any idea what I have done wrongly. The source for my page looks just the same as those of other people. Tom

Re: Downloading NWC files from the internet

Reply #1
Tom, this is an extract of an old e-mail I sent to Eric a long time ago when I was investigating this for my web page http://www.pcug.org.au/~apurdam/noteworthy.html (which has exactly what you are attempting, so might be worth a peek).

<<<Netscape, in reply to the question "Why doesn't my web page work when I upload it to my ISP's server?" say (amongst other things) "If you have composed a web page locally on your hard drive and it works, but once uploaded sound files don't play, etc., read on.

The web functions on MIME types. For every document transmitted, the server includes a 'header' which instructs the receiver (web browser) as to what *kind* of data is being sent. The format is type/sub-type.

When a sound clip or video applet doesn't run, it is usually related to MIME types on either or both the client (Navigator) and the server. Example: Server is sending application/midi, when the client is expecting audio/x-midi. The fix: contact your service provider (ISP) for help to correct the mismatch. " >>>

I imagine your ISP won't have anything for .NWC files, so suggest something like application/x-nwc or application/nwx, and then things should go just fine.

Andrew

Reply #2
This can be solved in at least two ways:

First, you can pack the .NWC files with something like WinZip or ARJ,
and upload the archives to your site. Most browsers should recognize
ZIP-archives.

Secondly, you can RIGHT-click on the file, and choose "Save file as..."
The file should download properly. This applies to all files.

Reply #3
In an 1 year old article ntworthy.com recommended mime type "application/nw-composer".

To that I would like to add that I believe that the mime standard specifies that an "x-" has to be prefixed since this is not a universally recognized mime type.
It would then become "application/x-nw-composer" and ntworthy.com should make this its standard.

Reply #4
Out bottom line: Your web server's mime type setting for *.nwc files is significant only in that it recognizes NWC files as binary encoded data. You may use whatever setting you like, as long as it meets your needs. Defining the NWC data as application specific on the server is generally all that is required to get it to send the file data in binary encoded form.

Reply #6
first faced with nwc files
so i need nwc files..i want to study compositing music.