Skip to main content
Topic: fonts, strange problem (Read 3568 times) previous topic - next topic

fonts, strange problem

Hi.
I've been using the programm for a couple of days. And it had worked perfect until I tried to add lyric. Due to some reasons I have to make the lyrics on 4-5 languages English (that one was simple), French and German(I've added charsets to my winXP and all seemed to work), but after I had tried to aplly Russian lyric, all previously done work was ruined: French e with acute turned to é and German u umlauts turned to u. And now I can't add them, nor e nor u. I've tried different fonts and font types(western, baltic, etc.) but solution is not found yet. Please help me. Damn that Russian, it ruined all again.

Re: fonts, strange problem

Reply #1
Since NWC doesn't seem to support Unicode, there doesn't seem to be any way to have Cyrillic characters in the same lyrics as standard Latin.

The characters that do not belong to the standard Latin alphabet are exclusive, that is if you get ¨¦ in the Western set, it will be §Û in the Cyrillic set.

If you open Character Map and use the Character Set box, you will see what characters will be available in each set.

Reply #2
I know about that. I told you I was able to use French and German normally, then something happend and all lyric was being ruined. And I do not know how to bring it back.

Reply #3
I have a similar problem as the original post to this thread.  I need to be able to work in Russian (Church Slavonic) and Greek.  I hope that a future version will allow this.  Most of my work, however, will be in English.

Reply #4
Like Reader Michael, I need lyrics in Greek and Slavonic, and I have no problem with the SPIonic font for the former and the Staroslav font for the latter; sometimes I use other Greek or Slavonic fonts, and there is no problem.  But there are a few fonts that do indeed seem incompatible with NWC; you get a row of question marks or some other gibberish.  Since you must use one and only one font to enter lyrics for any given song, there is a problem if you want to use two different encodings or fonts with two different alphabets--it won't work.  But there are a number of fonts that have both Latin and Cyrillic, or both Latin and Greek, and should work in NWC, although you might have to enter one of the alphabets with the numeric code rather than the regular keyboard.  I also have a Latin font with both regular and italic letters in the same font.

This still does not solve the problem with Slavonic, because most Cyrillic fonts lack some of the letters needed for Slavonic, and most proper Slavonic fonts don't have the Latin alphabet--so far I haven't found one, anyhow.

So what we need to do is to request Unicode in the Wish List.

That does not solve the original problem, where an attempt to use Russian for lyrics buggered up all previously entered lyrics.  I don't want to try to replicate this, and I don't think it should have happened. If the encoding was changed to Russian in the other files, that of course would foul things up, but the problem should vanish if you restore the proper encoding.  If it doesn't, something really weird is going on, and the NWC geeks should have a look.

Stephen