Skip to main content
Topic: NIFF files (Read 4195 times) previous topic - next topic

NIFF files

I am new to the forum, so if this question has been answered before, please direct me to that location.

I have tried out SharpEye2 from Visiv and found it exports out in NIFF format. Although a registered user of Noteworthy and about to try out the new beta version, can someone tell me if it imports NIFF?
The following is a comment from the Sharpeye2 program.  "If your favorite notation program does not import NIFF, and you would like to use SharpEye with it, please ask the producers to add this feature."

Re: NIFF files

Reply #1
G'day Damon,
no NIFF I'm afraid, but all is not lost!

Check out this thread:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4576.0

and especially this reply:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4576.msg34732#msg34732

David Palmquist and Tina have both been using this for some time and David especially has sung it's praises.

I have just recently been trying it and found it to be most effective.  It saves me about 1 hour on a 3 to 4 page (quick and dirty) piano score (I can key stuff in pretty fast), and reduces the risk of RSI :)

The MXML import isn't bad...  If I get the available corrections right in Sharpeeye then the work to be done in NWC is much reduced.

Well worth trying and heartfelt thanks to Nicolas Hatier for creating the converter.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks Lawrie.
I went to Nicholas Hatier's reply, namely

"You can download it from here

It's a command-line tool, no interface yet.
mxml2nwcc.exe [name of the xml file]"

How do I download it?

Reply #3
Click on the word "here" - it's a link to the latest version.

Once unzipped, you run the program and either drop the xml file into it or, like I do, use the open link to select a file.

You need to have NWC2 already open and not in a dialogue window.  The tool does the rest...

Reply #4
How dim of me. Didn't notice the underscore. Once downloaded I'll check it out. Thanks again.  I notice your a New South Welshman.
Damon

Reply #5
Hmm, now I must be the dim one...

A "New Damon" ?  Trekkie?  Ferengi?

Reply #6
No, not really.  I only commented because your listed profile says you are located in NSW, Australia.

Reply #7
G'day Damon,
hmm.  The post I commented on seem to be displaying differently now...

When I made my post I'm sure it said "I notice your a New Damon", now it says "New South Welshman" - which is, of course, quite correct.

If I misread the post earlier I apologise for confusing the issue.

Reply #8
No probs. Easy enough to do. I'll let you know how I get on withe the converter. Won't be til the weekend now. Cheers