Skip to main content
Topic: some other file format (Read 3342 times) previous topic - next topic

some other file format

Okay, this is getting rather annoying.  I need to get these files into some format so I can get SOMEONE ELSE who has a printer to print them for me.  This was the only reason I bought this program.

I have tried:
1. saving as wmf and emailing the wmf; he reports that it prints out with letters for noteheads.
2. importing to various graphics programs and saving as other types.  As many others report here, it moves everything around, it doesn't line up.
3. print to file; but it only allows .prn files, which gets me nowhere.
4. I downloaded the update to PaperPort which includes the printer driver, ie, to use PaperPort, a scanning program, as a printer, from which someone here claimed to have no problems extracting graphics files printed NWC; but when I print and select PaperPort as printer, nothing happens, no matter which of the programs I use to do it.

Also, when I pull up the wmf file in Viewer, the position of things changes with the zoom; I have several tempo messages with comments, ie "Moderately (quarternote=90)" etc, and it overlaps the parentheses with the comment; sometimes when I zoom in, it realigns, sometimes it doesn't.  The actual print preview in NWC doesn't have this problem.  The Word document into which I pasted the clipboard copy DOES.

I've searched high and low on the internet and this forum for a solution, and found nothing.  Any answers?  I bought the program because it claimed you could import to MSWord; it didn't mention that the alignment would be off.

-Chuckk

Re: some other file format

Reply #1
I just noticed that, no matter what zoom, the print preview in NWC has a space between the stem and notehead of every note with the stem pointing up.  I was hoping for something somewhat professional; is there a way to change this?

Reply #2
Well, quite a number of issues here.

1.If you save a .wmf file and transport it to a different computer, you need to make sure that the other computer has all of the fonts that are used on the original computer. In this case, the other computer will not have the NoteWorthy font which is why strange letters will appear in the print. This is nothing to do with NoteWorthy Composer itself, just the way wmf files work.

2. Haven't experienced this one personally but it's worth mentioning that margin settings (all four) have a direct impact on the final imported product. I understand that importing to certain vector driven graphics packages such as those supplied by open office, can give the problems you mention. In the open office case, it is a known bug with their software that has been reported to them.

3. Print to file - This is dependent on your printer set up.
If you have a PS printer, then you can usually print to file and rename the output file to xxxxxx.ps but even if the file has a .prn extension, it will nonetheless be a Post Script file and as such, stands a good chance of printing accurately on other PS printers. Even for non PS files, a .prn file should print out properly sent to the type of printer that it was generated for. You cannot expect to use a prn file generated with an epson driver on an HP laserjet for example (except if they are both PS !)

What I think you need to do in your case is to get the printer driver of the "SOMEONE ELSE's' printer. These are usually downloadable from the net but you will need the exact model. Then install it on your machine. Use that printer driver to create a print file. Zip up the result (it will probably be big) and send it to the person with the other printer. What they need to do after unzipping, is to use a dos box to copy the file to their printer. Suppose the file is called song.prn and it is save in the Temp folder on drive C. Then from a dos box, the command needs to be :

COPY /B C:\TEMP\SONG.PRN LPT1:

This can be used also for a .PS file

4. I don't know anything about Paper port so can't comment.

Finally - the gap thingie . This is only as a consequence of zooming into the print at a high resolution.  With some screen drivers this occurs at max resolution, others at a lower resolution, others not at all. But the resultant print of the score does not have this at all. This is purely drawing mechanics on the screen.

Sorry this is lengthy but I hope of some help.

Richard
Rich.

Reply #3
Hmmm,

1. Have you tried to convert the files to a pdf format? There are several pdf freeware and shareware programs out there. It is one of the internet standards. I provide sheet music in both nwc and pdf formats on my site for that reason.

2. After making a wmf file, try pasting it into Word or WordPerfect (depending which program is used by the person with the printer), and then sending that file.

3. If you happen to have a little website, could just upload the file and the person could use the free NWC browser to view, hear and print. (Query: I do not know if the browser works on email attachments. Has anybody tried?)

Reply #4
If you do paste a WMF into a word processing document, and send the document, be sure to send a copy of the noteworthy font! Currently, it's file name is NWCV15.TTF. If you don't then the document can't show the musical symbols when opened by your friends. BUT...

If your friends have installed a viewer for NWC, then the font is installed already.

In MS Word, maybe others, it is possible to embed fonts. But I don't know if that works when a WMF is pasted. Try it and see (you won't know the result unless you open the file on a machine that doesn't have the font installed).

Best bet: PDF format with embedded fonts.

Reply #5
And yes, I know know that PDF format is redundant redundant.

Reply #6
Have a look at https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2387, which details an approach that may be useful to you.

Note that if the person on the receiving end has Ghostscript and GSview installed, you can take one less step (the PDF conversion) and send the .ps file directly. However, I do recommend zipping it, since compression will make a big difference in the resulting filesize.

If you're geeky enough to be comfortable with a command-line compression program, get the (free) "gzip" utility; this will compress .ps files and give them the extension .psz. Such files can be directly opened by GSview without having to unpack them first.

Reply #7
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  As far as alignment, though, even on my computer, in Print Preview some of the note stems are off, and it shows the tempo comments over the tempos...
Steve- DUH, Noteworthy Player is free and downloadable.  Thanks for reminding me.  I sent him the fonts, we tried this, and he says the printout looks OK.  We'll see.