Skip to main content
Topic: OCR (Read 6077 times) previous topic - next topic

OCR

I am looking for a way to scan my music into noteworthy. can noteworthy do this or is there some other way to achieve this?

prefer reply direct to lloyd@clear-lake.com

Rod

Re: OCR

Reply #1
You can't do this directly from NoteWorthy but there are at least two products on the market which will allow you to scan in sheet music and convert it to MIDI format.

From there you can import the MIDI file into NoteWorthy.

The products are :

Midiscan from
http://www.musitek.com/

and

Cappella scan or Capscan from

http://www.softpart.co.uk/capella.html

You can download a demo version for bothe products at these addresses.

From personal experience of trying these products, I would still say that it is quicker to notate manually directly into NoteWorthy.

Much time is spent correcting the errors and assumptions of the scanning conversion program and then further time is spent after the import into NoteWorthy. However IMHO,I do think that Capscan is slightly better than Midiscan.

But the demo programs are there for you to form your own opinion so good luck with them.

Richard

Reply #2
As Richard has said, it would be quicker to manually input to NoteWorthy. I agree, take a look at msg #485, and read about my experience with MidiScan.

Reply #3
I DL'ed Capella from the site shown, and I can't see that it has any OCR capabilities. Have I overlooked something? I also looked for something other than Capella (you mentioned CapScan) but could find nothing.
All help appreciated,
Gordon

Reply #4
I also checked out Capella and contacted them direct. as follows. Not sure it is worth it based on reports of time ti fix errors
====

Hello Rod

Thank you for your email.

Yes, we have capella-scan which will scan in music and save as a capella
file. Once it is a capella file you can transpose, extract parts, etc.
or save as a MIDI file.

The scanning program works by recognising the musical elements of a bit
map created by the software already in the scanner. The recognised music
is overlaid in green on the bit map image and this makes it very easy to
see errors. Corrections are made with the aid of a floating palette. We
recognised a page of a Chopin Etude in 8 seconds.

capella and capella-scan cost 184 pounds (including VAT and UK postage).

Regards

Reply #6
I just bought "capella scan" and "capella" in a "special editition" which costs only 30DM each instead of nearly 200DM for the "professional" version. (You need capella because capella scan saves files in capella format only.) I scanned and recognized a small song containing 3 voices in 2 staves. The program did not recognize some of the rests, dotted notes, ties and repeat bars. It was easy to correct this because capella scan draws recognized objects directly onto the scanned image and I can select notation objects from a toolbar and drag them onto their scanned counterpart. (But I didn't find a way to insert the ties in capella scan.) I used capella to insert the missing ties and exported the the file in MIDI format. The MIDI file could easily be imported into NWC. I had to insert repeats manually in NWC because they were lost due to the MIDI export/import. Capella scan does not recognize lyrics at all so I had to enter them manually. The "special edition" of capella scan saves staffs containing two voices as two separate staves so I used staff layering in NWC to get them together.
In my opinion it was easier to correct the recognition errors than entering the notes manually.

Bodo