Skip to main content
Topic: triplet bracketing (Read 4461 times) previous topic - next topic

triplet bracketing

Anyone noticed that if you have 2 consecutive sets of eighth note triplets, that the first will have a 3 and a brace, but that the second will have only the digit 3 (and a different font, at that)? Any way to get the brace on the second set? Barry, if you answer, I'll owe you a Blatt's (if they're still in business - it sounds funnier than a Foster's anyhow).

Re: triplet bracketing

Reply #1
Sorry - couldnt resist. How do you do it - you should volunteer as a beta tester. If you select three 1/8 notes then press Crtl/T you get a triplet - OK. If you then press Ctrl/B you unbeam them but get a triplet brace. Do it again to get an unbraced, but beamed triplet again. You get the prize - I cant get both. Six pack enclosed!

Reply #2
Hate to respond to my own mail, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Didn't realize that quarter note triplets get a bracketed three, and braced eighth notes get only the digit 3. If you select the notes from left to right, and give a control-T, this will work. IF, on the other hand, you happen to swipe from right to left [!] and hit control-T, you won't get the triplet figure at all. Nothing will happen. Must have been what I did. Why, you ask? If you find out, let me know.

Reply #3
the trick was to swipe them from left to right and do a control-T, and you get triplets above them. If you swipe the same notes from right to left and control-T, you won't get triplets. This is maybe understandable, but then again, maybe not. As for beta testing, this is how my customers try to trick me. After awhile, you start to think like them. {Let's see, what's the worst I could do that no one ever thought anyone would EVER do? - How can I break it?}