Skip to main content
Topic: Changing midi channel during a song (Read 2797 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing midi channel during a song

Hello,

I'm using NWC 1.75c

I'd like to change the midi channel during a song (same channel for all non-muted staves), but this doesn't seem to be available.

The reason is that I'd like to change the scale temperament of vocal scores each time the harmony changes. My sound device is a Roland JV1010, and to use microtuning on JVs you have to put each scale on a separate channel.

Does anyone have a workaround, or would it be simpler to use MIDI-OX, which could intercept notes or other items from a separate muted stave and use them for control purposes? I'd rather have a solution that uses only NWC, because the users aren't too midi-savvy.

Regards

Re: Changing midi channel during a song

Reply #1
Unless your other users are also using a 'Roland JV1010', they won't hear the different temperments.
Perhaps <this topic> might help.

AFAIK, MIDI channel is assigned in Staff Properties and cannot be changed elsewhere.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Changing midi channel during a song

Reply #2
Seems like this might be solved with the frequent NWC workaround of hidden staves.  If you don't have too many MIDI channel changes in mind, for each muted display staff, duplicate the staff by copying it into as many (to be hidden) staves as MIDI channel changes you have in mind, each hidden staff on one of the MIDI channels.  Using either Expression (my preferred) or Volume MPCs, start with the hidden staves' volume at zero, only turning on their sound when you want their MIDI channel used and turning it back to zero when the part switches to another MIDI channel.  This way you avoid the muddy appearance that can result from layering several staves into one and you make later editing much easier by making visible and then hiding again the sounding staves rather than unlayering layered staves.