Skip to main content
Topic: MPC restoring (Read 6347 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC restoring

I stumbled upon a case like this: in a piece I had a 4 bars long trumpet note fading away.
I obtained this by applying the expression MPC linearly sweeping from 127 down to 0.
Very good.

I stopped the playback near the end of this fading then I restarted the play a dozen bars early.
The trumpet was very soft, almost non-existent.
What happened was that I stopped the play while the expression MPC was already very low and when I restarted the play the MPC remained untouched.

Of course this is a problem with all the MPCs. Guess what happens with an "engaged" pitch bending!

The best would be if NWC could restore the MPC settings virtually active at the restarting position, but I think it's not a simple matter. That is: the matter isn't worth the effort.

Opinions? Eric?

Maurizio

Re: MPC restoring

Reply #1
This might help: instead of hitting F6 to stop, hit F6 twice for stop + reset.

Reply #2
We can improve this in NWC2 within the reset function that is performed when you press Stop a second time. I'll add the Expression controller. Are there any others that folks would like to see reset?

Reply #3
The best way to avoid this problem is to add the initial state of each controller at the start of the instrument's staff. So, if you are going to change the Expression controller for the instrument at some point in the staff, make sure to assign the correct default Expression setting at the start of the staff. The "Play from insertion point" function is smart enough to pick this up, and your performance will be correct no matter where you start or stop play.

Reply #4
Thank you! I was already a bit afraid that my answer was not quite accurate, however well intended (I did not test - oh the shame)
Your suggestion should be all that Flurmy needs.

Reply #5
>Your suggestion should be all that Flurmy needs.

Yes indeed.
Thank you Eric.

Reply #6
I should have said:
Your suggestion should be all that Maurizio needs.
Somehow your stage name is easier to remember.

Reply #7
>Somehow your stage name is easier to remember.

Rob,
my friends sticked that nickname on me more than 30 years ago and now Flurmy it's kind of a second name for me.
So no problem at all, unless you don't want to be considered a friend... ;-)
What surprises me is that you find it easier to remember. Curious.

Completely off-topic: once I was speaking with a Maori who explained me that they use "kia ora" for both "hello" and "good bye". I said that we do the same in Italy. He asked me how we say and I answered "ciao" (spelled "chao"). A Japanese heard the whole conversation and said: "wow, easy!"

Cheers... that is: ciao!
Maurizio