Skip to main content
Topic: What's that Lassie? Another Soundfont question? (Read 10946 times) previous topic - next topic

What's that Lassie? Another Soundfont question?

Does Soundblaster Live! Value support soundfonts.  I ask this because AudioHQ was never on my computer, even after I installed it with the installation CD.

I heard that there is a glitch in Soundblaster cards with Windows XP (The system I run under) so they left some buggy programs off like AudioHQ.  I did try to download a patch to fix it but that had problems too.

So anyway, I can't use soundfonts because of this.  I know you guys aren't the technical support team for Soundblaster so I just want to know if Soundblaster Live! Value supports soundfonts. Thank you in advance.

Re: What's that Lassie? Another Soundfont question?

Reply #1
Wellllll, I dunno about SoundBlaster Live Value, but my SoundBlaster Live supports soundfonts. What would be the difference between the 'value' version and the plain 'live' version?

Reply #2
Oopsy, ended too soon, oh well....  Also you have to have the AudioHQ on your machine to use soundfonts.  It came on my installation CD with the SoundBlaster Live card.  It could have something to do with your lousy (in my humble opinion) XP system, I run Windows ME and have no problems.

Good luck - The Hankster

Reply #3
Girgle: AudioHQ was never on my computer

Hank: you have to have the AudioHQ on your machine to use soundfonts

There is an update available from Creative (LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe) which, according to them,

"upgrades the Sound Blaster Live! driver and enhances the overall product performance on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The package also upgrades core applications including Audio HQ and Surround Mixer for optimal Sound Blaster Live! performance."

The downer is that the whole package is 23MB.

Reply #4
I should have said that you have to have the AudioHQ to use soundfonts with the SoundBlaster cards.  I'm sure that other cards have their own programs.

Reply #5
Thank you for your replies, but I don't think I explained my problem correctly.  I had downloaded their latest driver, but when I try to install it an error message appears saying that there is no Soundblaster hardware on my computer.

Anyway, I e-mailed them about the problem, and one person gave me about 20 steps to fix the problem.  One of those steps was to "Install only AudioHQ onto your computer from the installation CD".  I popped in the CD only to find that AudioHQ was not even included on the CD.

This leads me to believe that Soundblaster Live! Value may not have included AudioHQ.  I just want to know if this is true or not.  If anybody uses soundfonts with SBLive! Value a reply would be most welcome.

Thanks again for the replies.

Reply #6
Soundblaster Live Value definitely supports Soundfonts with Windows 98 SE - I have been using one for about three years!  But I don't know about Windows XP.

Reply #7
I don't have any kind of Soundblaster, since my laptop has a fixed sound card (no soundfonts). But I do have XP. Some installers work better if you use the "compatibility" setting for Windows NT (XP is more like a successor to NT than to 9x-ME). Another possibility is that the folder system is organized differently in XP than it is for 9x-ME. It may be that something is being installed into a folder where it can't be found. Mind you, I wouldn't know what to do about that, if it's the problem. But if your software has the capability to browse for the location of things, you might see if they are in the expected locations.

Reply #8
I just dug out my old SBLive Value and SBLive 1024 installation CDs.  These both have Windows 95 drivers (which also work with Windows 98) but, as one would expect, no sign of Windows 2000 or Windows XP drivers.  Again I confirm that SBLive Value supports soundfonts, and also that Environmental Audio/Audio HQ installs from the SBLive CD if your operating system is Windows 98.  There was a Windows 98 driver update that you could download from Creative, but I'm afraid I do not know if it is possible to run a SBLive Value or 1024 with Windows XP.  However, SB Audigy and SBLive 5.1 come with Windows XP drivers and support soundfonts, Audio HQ etc.

Reply #9
I am having the same problem with my system.  I just upgraded to Win XP Home and downloaded the latest driver but it don't work.  It is missing the Audio HQ.  Even with there patch still don't work.

Reply #10
excuse me for digging in where u have not specified but is it possible that you have a built in soundcard that you would need to disable first. If this is definately not the case i reccomend u do a search for vienna soundfont studio. This definately works on xp and it does roughly the same thing although im not sure if u could use it for applying a sound font it is more of a editor. use this to see if your sound font works. It is also worth noting that i do have xp and i have a soundcard that works using soundfonts although it is the awe64. i do however have the soundblaster live value on a win98 machine and u dont have to have the audio hq menu installed to have the soundfonts. For xp i would also see if there are any soundcard updates on the windows update site. It has fixed my problems in the past i hope this helps please feel free to reply to this and i will try to help u further should u need it.

Reply #11
I THINK I'VE FOUND MY CHANNELER...

Reply #12
The problem I have is also with AudioHQ - I just purchased a brand-new SB Live (Value), and everything installs fine, but AudioHQ refuses to run.  Thus I cannot change the cache memory for SoundFonts, and thus cannot play any of the music I've spent the last 2+ years composing.  This is on XP, needless to say.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #13
Run the patch installer under 98 compatibility mode...

Reply #14
I've used a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 (Value) for years and had no trouble with the "LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe" drivers for Windows XP available on Creative's website.  I never had to install anything off the CD.  I actually like this, since it's the cleanest driver install I've had from Creative.

There were three iterations of the Live! card, the last being 5.1.  I believe each of these came in a "Value" flavor, which meant it came with less software and no "Live! Drive".  They may have used lower quality DACs, but all of the classic versions were based on the EMU10K1 chip which did SoundFonts in hardware.

Here is a listing of the various cards.  Look for the EMU10k1 or EMU10k2 chips.
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix

Be sure you don't have the newer Live! 24bit or 7.1, since they would use a different driver.  Also make sure you don't have the "Live! 5.1 Digital Dell" since that takes a different driver.

Reply #15
I have Soundblaster Live Value and use XP.  I have no problems with running  Soundblaster with all its accessories. and have upgraded the software. ( although I do not think the newer version is any better! )  However it did take ages for the Soundblaster software to load on my XP computer, to the extent that I thought it had crashed