Skip to main content
Topic: The Wish List (Read 2865 times) previous topic - next topic

The Wish List

Does the wish list operate like a standard filing system?
It goes in there as permanent storage?
Or is it a working document?

Can I view what's on the wish list?
Are Noteworthy users allowed to vote on the priority of items on the wish list?
Can Noteworthy do a user surver: either on the software itself or a sruvey on wish list items?
We could place a value out of 10 for which feature we want.
The items with the biggest values get earmarked for the next version?

What do others feel about this?

My impression is that Noteworthy is a very versatile program doing everything you basically want (except drum tracks), but yet I sense that there is a long term wait between versions and users don't know what to expect in the next version.

Comments?

Re: The Wish List

Reply #1
> Can I view what's on the wish list?
> Are Noteworthy users allowed to vote on the priority of items on the wish list?

These points had been discussed in another thread which I can't remember at the moment and open wish list (or discussing wishes at a forum-like platform) was "wished" by some colleagues.

Reply #2
Maybe it's time to revive the wish list debate. See messages at thread https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1348.msg6864#msg6864 through https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1348.msg6901#msg6901 and somewhat related thread at https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1407.msg7174#msg7174 through https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1407.msg7213#msg7213. Much discussion about the wish list and the "wish" of some of us users to be able to see what has been wished for. The main thought was to have the list posted and to possibly give users the ability to vote on future enhancements or see what has been proposed.

First, let me say that I am a very satisfied user of NWC. It is a tremendous program and more than worth the cost. I have tried Sibelius, Cakewalk, and some of the others on the market, and for my money, NWC is the best, period. However, there is always room for improvement.

Currently the wish list operates in a black hole. I believe most who have posted on this forum are reasonable human beings and know that all wishes cannot and will not come true, just as some wishes have come into being. This being the case, I believe it would be beneficial for all to see what has been asked for. Not so that more demands will be made on NWC, but just to see if other users have like wants and desires. As it stands now, none of us know what's been asked for and we can only guess as to what may or may not be under consideration.

The voting aspect would be a bonus and I think helpful to NWC not only to see what a majority of users may want, but maybe to eliminate wading through countless posts to the wish list trying to tally if it has been asked for previously or not. Then again, I could be wrong. Just wanting it to be a win-win for all as this is such a great product with a passionate group of users.

Reply #3
It would also help to discuss items on the wish list, to add, refine or remove bits from each suggestion.

For example I have asked for editable slurs where you can specify the end points, but others might have a better way of doing it.

Another example is n-tuplets where one suggestion is to specify the number of notes in a specific time (eg 7/4) but others have been suggested.

One disadvantage of 'the black hole' approach is that some features are rarely asked for because people don't realise that they need them - but just think of the enhancements we now have which we can no longer do without (staff layering for instance). Another is that there is never any feedback about what is possible. Something apparently very easy could be quite tricky with the file set-up that NWC uses, whereas other apparently difficult enhancements might be terribly easy - we just don't know.

For what it's worth I favour a much more open discussion about possible enhancements. Wish list here I come!

Peter

Reply #4
I agree with the above. As for editable slurs, if you happen to own a drawing program capable of opening and editing a Windows Metafile (WMF), you can do it now.

Reply #5
Noteworthy is so left wing. they remove any posts that aren't totally square and don't JOIN IN on the discussion. as for the wish list they won't get in on that too because they are on a high horse and won't INTERACT. remove this post if you must but you guys need to be more realistic and more interactive. if you don't like this post instead of deleting RESPOND TO IT FOR A CHANGE!!!
said nicely,
gub

Reply #6
To Robert: under Win95, I used to use Word 6.
But new versions of that kind of software sometimes does less than earlier versions (remind of BACKSPACE key in PaintBrush, after Ctrl-V was done, for instance).

To gub: what meals "left wing"? As a left-handed person, I'd take that for a compliment ;) but as per the rest as the message, it seems not. Just increasing my english vocabulary.
Now to your subject: "they don't join in"... Ain't this forum a forum for users? I prefer that NWC's staff don't reply to each and every thread --they've got much better to do: improving software, and study wish list.
What they do, and do at their own rhythm; even if there are things I'd like to see, I'm globally satisfied of the NWC progression. Have you ever lost your work using NWC? I never did. Not the same with other "professional" programs!!!!
BTW, I usually learned more by users --because they are more numerous and all over the world: 24/24h, 7days a week.
But things written by NWC are usually efficient, and rarely need some more explanation.
I already created 3 lists about NWC. Why not a 4th for a discussing-wish list? If I do this, I'll set the following rule: be constructive. The goal is to achieve "usable" wishes. Not dreams, but things that have to come true.
The current "black hole" list has an enormous advantage: you propose what you need, not being influenced by others --i.e. you keep your own freedom of mind. Which is priceless.

Written nicely tambien,
Dominique