Skip to main content
Topic: What is MOONLITE, included in the NWC samples? (Read 6139 times) previous topic - next topic

What is MOONLITE, included in the NWC samples?

Hi guys,

I know absolutely nothing about music, but I know what sounds good, and the MOONLITE file included as a sample song with NWC is very nice to my ears -- a bit repetitive, but extremely persistent and emotional. I saved it in MIDI format and looked at the file with Windows Notepad. The description line clearly says it is Beethoven's "Sonata Quasi Una Fantasia, Op. 27, No. 2, The Moonlight Sonata". Yet, I have heard this piece and it sounds completely different -- much slower and brooding.

I would be so grateful if some one could listen to MOONLITE in the NWC samples folder and identify the title or artist. I'm looking for alternate versions of it to listen to, i.e. the many covers for Pachelbel's Canon.

Modus

Re: What is MOONLITE, included in the NWC samples?

Reply #1
Just like it says, it's "Sonata Quasi Una Fantasia, Op. 27, No. 2, The Moonlight Sonata".

"Sonata Form" generally contains multiple, contrasting movements. This one has two. The "much slower and brooding" piece you're thinking of is most likely movement #1, the NWC sample is movement #2.

If you buy a recording you should get both movements. I guess the trouble is these days people expect 3 minute songs, rather than having the patience to experience something like this sonata in its entirety with its contrasting emotions and textures. Unfortunately many "best hits of..." type CDs tend to only include fragments.

Reply #2
John, you must be talking about the Reader's Digest condensed "Moonlight". The unabridged version is in 3 movements, of which the NWC sample is the 3rd.

Reply #3
hahah Grant, I was just about to correct the 2-movement response.

Reply #5
Gosh -- I thought the Moonlight Sonata was like this: first quarter, full, third quarter, new.

Reply #6
I've played the 3 movements, the tempo on the file is by Hans von Bülow, one editor of his, the three movements are 1-Adagio 2-Allegretto 3-presto agitato.
This is the one sonata that doesn't correspond to the regular form Not too Fast/Slow/Very Fast

Reply #7
beethoven hated this name....
he much like Sonata quasi una fantasia, wich is also the Op27 No1 name, he hated when people put names on his work

Reply #8
without wanting to be picky, "Sonata Form" is actually a format for an individual movement, comprised of a Exposition, Development and Recapitulation, and not a form of an entire work.
A good example of Sonata form is the 1st movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony, where he sets out the main themes, then develops them, and finally returns to them to finish off the movement.

Reply #9
To muddy the waters even further, "Sonata" is different from "sonata form". A "Sonata" was originally simply a "sounded" (as opposed to vocal) piece of work; it has come to mean "An instrumental composition, usually for a solo instrument, in three or four contrasting, extended movements." So Beethoven was entirely correct in calling the entire work "Sonata quasi una fantasia."

Then there's the bag of worms that "Sonata form" gets you into, since there are quite a few forms, and even the experts have trouble keeping them all straight. There are first, second and third rondo form, third rondo with development, sonatina form, enlarged sonatina, sonatina form with final D.C., and several types of sonata allegro form.

Finally, there's David Crosby's "Immigration Form", which is "big enough to keep you warm when the cold wind's blowin'" :)

Reply #10
Not to make matters any worse, but this piece is a sonata for solo instrument, and the 3rd movement is in sonata form. Talk about crazy, huh?

Reply #11
Actually, that was a false statement, Sam, Sonatas were generally in 4 movements, as were Symphonies as well. Fast-Slow-(Scherzo)Menuet-VeryFast, Scherzo was included by Beethoven in the place of the Menuet, included by Haydn. This 3rd movement was sometimes excluded in sonatas, and that didn´t stop composers to exclude others. Beethoven excluded the 1st here. He wasn´t obligated to make sonata-form in this movement, for it was not the 1st. It was the regular 4th. Thinking like that it´s easier to understand his piece as a whole than general thinking, he didn´t "mess up" or did "modern reformations" to the Sonata, he just excluded the 1st movement and went on.

Reply #12
Don't forget that Beethoven himself called this sonata "quasi una fantasia", which indicates he recognized that its form was unusual.

Reply #13
Don't forget that Sonata quasi una fantasia is also the 13th sonata. He gave this name in regard of the sonata form, which he didn't follow interely in this 2 sonatas. However, the Oupus 27 N1 is complete, with all the 4 movements there.

Reply #14
the sample in labeled moonlite in NWC is not movement 2, its movement 3

Reply #15
I think that's what Grant had said in reply 2 :)