Skip to main content
Topic: Instruments for NWC (Read 6248 times) previous topic - next topic

Instruments for NWC

Hello,

i am having great fun evaluating the NWC and wish to know if one can get more realistic instrument sounds through MIDI. When I put an instrument patch from right hand click, midi control and there are afew different banks, but how do i get more of these and how do I get one's that sound like real instruments and have some depth to them.

i would be v. grateful if someone could get back to me with some advice. i imagine that you must be able to download something somewhere !

Thanks in advance,

Nicholas

Re: Instruments for NWC

Reply #2
It all depends on the synth you use. Most sound cards leave a lot to be desired. However, if you use the MIDI out to hook up to a good outboard keyboard or synth module you can get far better results. Another alternative is to use a good software synthesizer such as the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas.

Good Luck.

Reply #4
Um, the link is dead, teh downlaod is not available anymore, any other sources maybe?

Reply #6
Thanks v. much chaps ! Will try your suggestions to be honest I think I will go back to my Organ ( Pipe Organ of course ) and more traditional techniques. Interesting to know that the technology is not up to it yet. Thanks for your suggestions !

Best wishes,

Nicholas Watkins

Reply #7
Sure Nicholas, synthesis technology has yet a long way to go. And as you mention Pipe Organ, this makes me think of this: in many organs, the stereo effect is produced by the physical place (left to right but also front-rear) of the pipes.
Would someone be kind enough to give some explanation on how ti _should_ sound to sound more like a real stereo organ?
I know that some "jeux" (same pipes with same kind of sound, don't know the name in English) are starting from edges and coming to center, each half-tone being alternatively left and right (I discovered this in helping an organist to tune his organ in). To which "jeux" does this apply? is it always true?
On the midi side, it's another story, I feel that a program will be written... Unless NWC can search for each C4 and set it to right, then C#3 to left, and so on... ;-) (wish, of course)

NWCly yours,
MAD

Reply #8
Dear MAD,

Thanks for the interesting reply, I will try to answer your question. The 'jeux' are the stops, that is the actual ranks of pipes ( in French I beleive they are called RANGS. ) One stop ( jeux ) can contain more than one rank of pipes although most stops have only one rank but the stops that give the organ it's very bright pitch ( called mixtures or fournitures in French ) are actually a combination of ranks of pipes on one jeux/stop tuned at differing pitches. If you look at the name of the stop it will have something like 'Fourniture III' 'Mixture II' which indicates the number of ranks. Most pipes have just the lenght of the bottom pipe ie "Montre 8'" "Prestant 4'" "Bourdon 16'" the number indicating the lenght in FEET ( not metres even on French/German organs, hah, hah.) 8' is in unison with a piano 16' an octave below and so on. When I play one note on the keyboard there are several pipes ( tauyaux ) sounding at the same time.

Now to the rest of your question, the pipes are NOT always arranged in a 'stereophonic' fashion. It does happen quite a bit BUT the more general rule is for them to descend from right to left or vica versa. IE: C C# D D# etc so that what you see is a sweep from the left or right. But is has to be said that in France partuicularly with the 'Buffet d'orgues' concept does require some amount of symetry and this was a very fashionable concept in late 19th Century french organ building. Of course if you look at the design of a modern organ ( recommend Notre Dame des Nieges in Alpe D'Huez which is shaped like a hand ) one can design a perfectly good organ without this stereo idea.

Interestingly enough in ELECTRONIC ORGAN BUILDING they have exactly the same problems ( and sounds ) as you have with NWC and digital sounds for real instruments. So far they are very into sampling technology at the moment, going to
La Trinite in Paris or Westminster Abbey and sampling the sounds of the pipes and then importing them into the electronic organ - it still doesn't sound like the real thing though - THANK GOD !!!!!

Any way hope that this interests you and answers your question - just remember it is more important phsically where the pipes are than how they are arranged - we don't just sit there playing arpeggios !

Best wishes,

Nicholas Watkins

Reply #9
Unfortunately, a pipe organ is very difficult to transport anywhere. Besides, midi programs have so much more possibility!

Reply #10
Lilith, that's true, MIDI have more possibilites... but they have less power.
Playing on a true organ will never be the same as midi-programming it, even with the best sounds/card.
You might answer that with midi, you can have a full orchestra. But then, why directors keep on directing an orchestra? Not only because they are more paid I suppose ;-)

Well, this subject is a big matter of discussion, and each part will have good reasons not to change their mind...

Provided this leads to MUSIC, ART and BEAUTY, that's all fine!

MAD (Midi (or Music?) Addicted Dominique)

Reply #11
Dear All,

You are of course quite right, there is really a huge difference between instruments proper and MIDI. In terms of producing music (scoring etc) technologiy is way ahead ( and in portability !!!) but warmth of sound has a long way to go.

I wish you all the best of luck, I though being able to import MIDI *.MID files was great by the way.

Best wishes,

Nicholas