Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone know if CPDL is still there? (Read 10790 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone know if CPDL is still there?

(This is a date-sensitive message. Readers, please note whether the date is current.)

Does anyone know if the Choral Public Domain Library (CPDL) is still active? For the past week, I have been trying to connect to them. Evidently the domain name is still active, and a reply from their server is expected... but their server never replies. Not an error message; just no reply until timeout.

Re: Anyone know if CPDL is still there?

Reply #1
Hi Robert,
I am unable to ping or traceroute to the site.

DNS resolution still works.  Perhaps their link/router/host system is down?

Reply #2
Guess so! Thanks for double-checking. CPDL has had similar problems in the past, as I recall.

Reply #3
I used it only just the other day, and their server goes down from time to time.  We will just have to wait for a day or so - it will be up and running soon.

Reply #4
It seems to be working for me.

Reply #5
and now ? please, give me good news from CPDL...

Reply #6
Hi Maryaga and others,
just did some checking, according to the reverse DNS lookup the cpdl.org server appears to be hosted on ccarh.Stanford.EDU.

I can both ping and traceroute to this server _but_ I cannot open port 80 which is the normal http port.

My guess is, assuming this is actually Stanford University as the reverse lookup suggests, that they are fiddling with firewalling and other security/intrusion controls and have a problem...

Not much help I know.
Lawrie

Reply #7
Seems to be back up again...

Reply #8
The only version of the cpdl site I have been able to access in the past week or so is one which clearly hasn't been updated since January 2005 (the date which appears on the home page at the moment). I searched for certain items (scores and also translations) which I knew had only been posted this year, and sure enough, they weren't there.

Reply #9
I lost it for ages. Suddenly it reappeared. Today (Friday July 22) it's gone again. Good to know, though, that others suffer in the same way!

Reply #10
Lost again...  So borring!

Reply #11
Could it be that CPDL is just one of several projects run by the same person/org, all of which occupy a common and limited server space? If another project temporarily needs more space, then perhaps CPDL is temporarily dismounted. The obvious solutions (more server space, or get a free site), either (1) cost money, or (2) involve ads or other inconveniences. Just a guess!

Reply #12
The very worse thing of all... is that you never get scores when u need most... (Have u heard about "Murphy's law"?!!!)
But... As this is the first time it happens to me, I shouldn't complain that much!!!!
It's a very important site... for me...
And it may be for all of u 2...
So...
Why don't we try to keep in touch with them (through Stanford University) and find out what is happening... Maybe we could help! someway...
Well, this is a suggestion!

Reply #13
Well, if Stanford U is short of funds to subsidize CPDL, it could sell about one square foot of its land, and fund the site forever.

Reply #14
CPDL (when it is available!) is at www.cpdl.org (note the ORG). There seems to be an unrelated cybersquatter(?) at www.cpdl.com (note the COM). At this very moment, the Scriptorium seems to be down.

Reply #16
Despite the routing and origins, cpdl is NOT run by Stanford, but single-handedly by a professional organist in the SF Penninsula, Rafael Ornes. I emailed him (ornes@cpdl.org) asking about the site but have not heard back. I haven't been able to access the site in about a week. Mr. Ornes is music director at a Presbyterian church in the South Bay; perhaps he has email through them? I will research.

Reply #17
I really miss cpdl! It is still down today.(8-8-'05) Anybody any help?

Reply #19
I have also been missing CPDL and I found the link referred to by Jean Louis via WSO.williams.edu.  The third file leads to a CPDL brochure (which I've never seen before) but it shows an e-mail address to the site owner.  I have e-mailed him (no reply) and also sent a 'broken' message to Williams University.  Fingers crossed!

Reply #20
Merci beaucoup Jean-Louis. Je suis sûr que tout le monde a compris ce que signifie 'vos fichiers sont sur' ...
Comment l'as tu su?

Rob.

Reply #21
je vous donne cet ancien lien qui fonctionne toujours

link to cdpl

http://wso.williams.edu/cpdl/

Index of /cpdl

Name                    Last modified      Size  Description

[DIR] Parent Directory        06-May-2005 17:20      -
[  ] CPDLBRO4.pdf            06-Jul-2004 12:45  143k
[  ] CPDLBrochure.pdf        30-Jan-2005 10:55  194k
[  ] Xmas2004.pdf            21-Dec-2004 15:17    13k
[  ] cpdl-03-05-21.zip      21-May-2003 09:19  116k
[  ] cpdl-04-07-06.zip      06-Jul-2004 15:24  167k
[  ] cpdl-05-01-12.zip      12-Jan-2005 18:50  193k
[  ] cpdl0208a.pdf          05-Sep-2002 09:01  353k
[  ] cpdl0501a.pdf          26-Jan-2005 08:17  479k
[  ] cpdl0501b.pdf          27-Jan-2005 07:34  463k
[  ] indulci20.pdf          21-Dec-2003 11:05  109k
[  ] indulci21.pdf          21-Dec-2003 11:05    98k
[  ] indulci23.pdf          21-Dec-2003 11:06    97k
[  ] indulci24.pdf          22-Dec-2003 10:39    94k
[  ] oct-2003.xls            06-Nov-2003 15:43    15k
[TXT] ross-toa.sib            04-Jan-2005 17:44    33k
[  ] sabine.doc              06-Nov-2003 15:41    19k
[DIR] sheet/                  01-Jul-2005 09:26      -
[DIR] sound/                  01-Jul-2005 09:26      -
[DIR] source/                01-Jul-2005 09:27      -
[TXT] wsosheet.list          26-Jan-2004 16:21  210k
[TXT] wsosheet2.list          26-Jan-2004 16:35

Reply #22
Merci, Jean-Louis !

The above link is to an FTP download. You can first download the list of files, find the file name, then download the music.