Skip to main content
Topic: chord with rest for part of duration (Read 2570 times) previous topic - next topic

chord with rest for part of duration

NoteWorthy is the best program I've found so far and it's going great, but I have one minor problem. I want to put a chord in so that each note of the chord is added a beat later. I put in the first note, but I can't put a rest on top before the next note of the chord. Does anyone know how to do this???

Re: chord with rest for part of duration

Reply #1
If I understand your question correctly, probably the easiest way to accomplish this is with layered staves. This way all elements of your structure will be controllable. That being said, you /can/ combine notes and rests on a single staff, if 1: the rest is placed first, and 2: the notes have a longer duration than the rest (e.g. you can have an 1/8 rest and "stack" notes of a dotted 1/8 or greater.)

Reply #2
Are you trying to do a "roll-up", where the notes are played in sequence but held down? If so, then this can be done by notating the full chord, then placing a grace note for each note before the chord, in the sequence you want to play them. Then tie each grace note to the chord.

Reply #3
An example is shown in bar 164 of "moonlite.nwc" in the NWC sample folder.

Reply #4
Another way to go about this would be to break the chord down into individual "beats", enter a new chord for each beat, adding notes one-by-one to each succeeding chord, and tie them all together, e.g.:

1st beat: C, tied to
2nd beat: C/E chord, each note tied to
3rd beat: C/E/G chord, each note tied to
4th beat: C/E/G/C chord

This may not look pretty, but the sound is right.