Skip to main content
Topic: Unidentified Midi? (Read 4626 times) previous topic - next topic

Unidentified Midi?

For a while now, I have been using NWC without too many errors.  But recently, I have found some Midi files that are not compatible with NWC.  Though they are classified as "Midi", the program does not recognize the file as an Midi nor a Song file on import.

If I try to drag the file into the program, I get the message:

"NoteWorthy Composer does not recognize the file type 'midi', so it is unable to open the file."

Is there a specific type of midi that NWC does not work with?  I have tried this with many different files (not obtained by the same source on the web).  And if possible a solution?

Brian W

Re: Unidentified Midi?

Reply #1
A possibility is that the file is in reality an RMI (RIFF MIDI).
It's nothing more than a MIDI file encapsulated in a RIFF chunk, but must be recognised as such.

Do some other MIDI players play it?

Reply #2
NWC has hard coded file extension detection. You probably need to change the filetype to .mid (drop the ending 'i' from the extension).

Reply #3
Problem fixed!  Thank you for the suggestion of changing the file extension to *.mid, it works like a charm!

Reply #4
A possibility is that the file is in reality an RMI (RIFF MIDI).
NWC will open RIFF MIDI files that are incorrectly given the extension 'mid' or 'kar'.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Sorry, I didn't see the final "i" in the extension.

Traditionally the extensions were of max 3 chars, ok, but now more is allowed (see "nwctext"), so why NWC doesn't accept "midi"?

Reply #6
Traditionally the extension were of max 3 chars, ok, but now more is allowed (see "nwctext"), so why NWC doesn't accept "midi"?

Already explained here:
NWC has hard coded file extension detection. You probably need to change the filetype to .mid (drop the ending 'i' from the extension).

..but perhaps worth an enhancement request..?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
No need. The .midi extension will be recognized in the next release.

Reply #8
Seems to be an evolving standard.
Media players clear back to Win 3.1 display (*.mid,*.rmi) in the Open dialog.
WinXP's mplay32.exe displays (*.mid,*.rmi)
WinXP's wmplayer.exe displays (*.mid,*.rmi,*.midi)

For drag and drop operations, it might be best to ignore the extension and check signatures.
It is a short list:
  • [NWZ]
  • [NoteWorthy ArtWare]
  • !NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)
  • !NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
  • MThd
  • RIFF
Of course, a 'kar' extension would still be needed to trigger karaoke interpretation of MIDI files.
Registered user since 1996