Skip to main content
Topic: musical software (Read 2150 times) previous topic - next topic

musical software

Hi,
   I am a student of IIT first year computer science
I want to make a software which would take as input
notation file and play it in piano or any other instrument
This is to be done in indian classical music.
Can you help me I guess this software is a bit similiar to
networthy composer.
plz send in any kind of help
pradeep

Re: musical software

Reply #1
I assume that your project is intended as a learning experience, because there are many products (including NWC) that already do the kind of thing you wish to do. This is an established technology.

If you want your program to accept "musical notation" as input, then you need to know that notation comes in a variety of formats. The output to an electronic keyboard would probably need to be MIDI.

Here is the catch: Output to an electronic instrument may not sound credibly similar to Indian classical music if the instrument's synthesizer does not include acceptable imiations of the instruments you choose. This is a problem that affects everyone. There are synthesizer programs that will run in your computer without an external instrument, and "sound fonts" that go with certain hardware and software to improve the sound quality.

There are many readers of this forum who have experience with the details, as far as music, perhpas not computer programming. BUT, you are asking for an on-line tutorial in a very complicated subject. That is not realistic. Rather than looking for information here, I suggest you simply take a course in electronic music, offered through the music department at your university. Even community colleges offer such a course, nowadays.