Skip to main content
Topic: printing bug (Read 8190 times) previous topic - next topic

printing bug

Possible printing bug: I just asked NWC2 to print out p. 11 of a SQ score I am working on, and got p. 15 instead. Twice. I confirmed that the page number was set properly in the print dialog box, and that the score pages were numbered properly. P. 11 was on screen at the time, so it wasn't substituting the on-screen page for the one I requested. Is anyone else having this problem?

Re: printing bug

Reply #1
Okay, I'm just thinking out loud here, but I do know that NWC can get different results on different printers (especially if they have different resolutions).  So, I would just make sure that your "default" printer and its default configuration match exactly the printer you selected to print out the pages.  For example, I do know that when my default is set up to print normal mode, but then when I go to print and I select draft mode instead, I get something different from what's on the screen.

By default printer settings, I mean by selecting "Start, Settings, Printers" and setting the defaults there.  If you change it in the Printer Properties dialog box when you go to print, I have found that the printed result then is not necessarily what you see on the screen.  I have found that amongs different printers, too, that just a setting difference of "1" for the staff size can result in a difference of several pages.  For example, on my work computer, I had a score set with a staff size of 35, but was printing to a high resolution laser printer.  It printed fine across two pages.  When I took it to my home machine and tried to print in on my inkjet, it now printed at 4 pages.  When I reduced the staff size to 34, it printed on 2 pages again.

This was just a thought and may or may not help you.

- John

Reply #2
That doesn't seem to be the problem. The p. 15 that prints out when I ask for p. 11 is identical to the p. 15 shown in print preview in NWC2. I'm using the same HP laserjet that I have always used to print scores, and the print preview pages have always corresponded very nicely with the printed output (as they have again here - it's just that the wrong page comes out of the printer when I ask for a single page printout).

Reply #3
G'day William,
just curious at the moment... Is this the only file affected or do you have similar problems with other longer works?

If this is the only one then perhaps we can arrange to try it on another system to see if the problem follows the file.

If it does, then I suggest that a submission of that file to NWC support is in order.

OTOH if several works are affected then again, we should arrange to test on another system.  This time if the problem persists then a bug report is probably in order.

In either case, testing on a different system will establish whether it is associated with your system only or not.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thanks, Lawrie. I tried printing p.11 alone from two other multi-page scores and got p. 11. Tried p. 11 again on the SQ score in question and got p. 15 again. So the problem seems to be tied to the file. I'll do a little further investigation and report back later.

Reply #5
OK - my bad. Somehow, sometime, I changed the starting page number in the file from 1 to 5. Don't remember doing it and can't think of a reason I would have, but there it was. The printing loop goes by actual page count, not page number, so it just went happily forward to what it thought was the right spot. Should have checked this before sounding off, of course, but I've got a terrible cold and my judgement is warped. (Be happy the computer can't transmit this type of virus.)

Reply #6
Hey William,
glad you found it :)

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Your fault? No, not at all! You used the SATB or the Quartet template. They have 5 as starting page number. Check it out - it is a 'buglet' that NWC2 inherited from NWC 1.75, and before.

What you, and many others, should do, is: check the templates, adjust them where necessary, and save them in the templates directory, replacing the originals. I created a template (which is nothing more than a nearly-empty Noteworthy file: a few staves, keys, instruments, pans, and volumes) and saved it, and I now always use either that template or a complete blank. And the page number now starts with 1.

Also, could Noteworthy please include corrected page numbers in the next release, in the templates?

Reply #8
Thanks, Rob. I didn't think my memory was that bad, and couldn't figure out how p. 5 had snuck in there. But I did, in fact, use the quartet template.

This is a little annoyance that would be very, very easy to repair in the next release.

Reply #9
But NW doesn't overwrite the templates once they've been installed (presumably because subsequently they may have been edited) so new releases won't cure old problems!

Reply #10
It should be quite easy to do one of the following:
- overwrite the existing templates, checking the creation dates. If the existing ones are (by date) Noteworthy's originals, they can be overwritten;
- put another version of the template in
- rename the existing template to something SATB-old, etc
- include a question in the installation process 'Do you want to keep the existing templates?

or a combination of these methods.

Reply #11
[Rob den Heijer]
> or a combination of these methods.

...or simply alert users that they need to change their templates, if they so desire, and new users could get any new templates issued.

Some, like me, never use the default quartet, whatever, templates. I always use my own, or the blank score "template".

Adding more code to the installer just to solve this minute problem seems to me as overkill.