Skip to main content
Topic: how to beam notes in two differents staffs?? (Read 2524 times) previous topic - next topic

how to beam notes in two differents staffs??

hi, i writte music for piano and i NEED to beam notes in upper staff to notes in lower staff...
how can i do it? please help me ^_^

thanks a lot

Re: how to beam notes in two differents staffs??

Reply #1
No can do in NWC1.75.

There are some work-arounds (search this forum). If your music is going to be placed in a word processing document using metafiles, you can draw the necessary beams in the word processor.

Reply #2
What do you need exactly? I don't understand exactly what you want. Please explain your need.

Reply #3
I've done this. It's a problem, but here's a workaround:

First of all, you can't make it look as you'd probably like it to, with the upper-staff note stem-down and the lower-staff note stem-up. Also, you have to start with the two staves the distance apart you are going to keep them.

Let's say you want a in the bass clef tied to f' in the treble clef. You write the a in bass clef, then move the cursor up, with the lower staff still selected, until it's over the f space on the staff above, and add your note. Then beam them together. THEN you select the high note (which will be some random note, a g" with 7 leger lines if you kept the default spacing of piano staves), and check "no leger lines" and "mute" (if you haven't muted the whole staff). If you want to hear the f', put it on the upper staff, hidden, or on a hidden staff.

If you get too fussy about how a staff looks and still want it to play right, it's generally a good idea to mute that staff and have a hidden staff for the sounds. I use NWC to prepare playing scores and parts, so I don't always bother; I only use the playing feature to check for mistakes.