then go back to the beginning to play the first section,
and end with the second ending (A').

For a lengthy menuett/trio (where menuett=A and trio=B),
writing out the repeat of the menuett after the
trio seems redundant.

Thanks for any help  :-)

Re: menuett flow direction

Reply #1
[A section] [1st ending] :| [2nd ending] :| [D ending] [DBL] [B section] [DC al Fine]

(DBL = double barline or section close)

That should do the trick for you.

Cheers,
Fred

Reply #2
Oops... there should be a [Fine] just before the double barline or section close.

Reply #3
Thank you for the reply Fred.  I have a few more questions:

Why is there a repeat after the 2nd ending?
What does "[D ending]" mean?
What is the signifigance/effect of the
"double barline or section close" on flow direction?
Is my outline of a menuett correct?

Thanks again!

:-)

Reply #4
Why is there a repeat after the 2nd ending?

You're right, that isn't needed. Should be Section Close.

So: here's the corrected version in ASCII format:

[A sec.] [1st ending] :| [2nd ending] [SC] [D ending] [Fine] [SC] [B sec.] [DC al Fine]

What does "[D ending]" mean?

From the help file: "The last ending, Default D.S./D.C. Ending, is used after a Da capo or Dal Segno instruction (flow redirection) has been performed."

What is the signifigance/effect of the "double barline or section close" on flow direction?

Tells the program that it's reached the end of the special ending. From the help file, "The last primary ending and the default ending are usually followed by a Section Close bar line to designate the end of the master repeat section."

Is my outline of a menuett correct?

Yes, that's pretty much the classical formula, but there's no reason a composer couldn't use other outlines. If you're writing an original piece, it's pretty much up to you what you want it to do.

Reply #5
Fred Nachbaur wrote:
[A sec.] [1st ending] :| [2nd ending] [SC] [D ending] [Fine] [SC] [B sec.] [DC al Fine]

I suppose you meant:
[A sec.] [1st ending] [end of A] :| [2nd ending] [end of A'] [SC] [D ending] [end of A'] [Fine] [SC] [B sec.] [DC al Fine]

In my opinion, there is no need to separate [2nd ending] and [D ending] because both are A'.

[A sec.] [1st ending] [end of A] :| [2nd ending] [D ending] [end of A'] [Fine] [SC] [B sec.] [DC al Fine]

Reply #6
I think I understand, but do I write out the second
ending twice, once with "[2nd ending]" and once with
"[D ending]"?

Or can I just write the second ending once and put
both "[2nd ending]" and "[D ending]" in front of
it?

Thanks for your patience :-)

Reply #7
As Olivier pointed out, you could simply write it once, checking both the "2" and the "D" checkboxes for the second (and final) ending. You'd only really need to make them separate endings if there was some difference between them (as, for example, a ritard. on the last pass through the "A" section). But either way will work.

This is one of those many cases where the same result can be achieved in different ways. You'll find lots of such "different ways" as you get to know the program.

I'd suggest playing with it, using a simple sequence, just to get the hang of it. You can't break anything by doing it "wrong", and hands-on experience really helps to make the learning curve less steep.

Reply #8
Thank you Fred and Olivier! I think I've finally
got it :-)
(I didn't realize that one could "check"
more than one special ending).

M.P.