Skip to main content
Topic: Slur preferences (Read 3311 times) previous topic - next topic

Slur preferences

I do mostly vocal music, 2 parts per staff, but by layering. I would like to set a preference that says "on this staff ties and slurs are always upward", or downward. I know I can go thru and change them by hand after the fact, but that's a pain. Is there someway to set this preference before I even start putting in notes, and have every tie or slur set the way I want it when it comes up?

Re: Slur preferences

Reply #1
AFAIK there is no way to set this preference.

What you might like to try is to enter the complete stave without any slurs. When you have finished, select all of the notes in the stave ( position to beginning of stave and hit shift + END , then edit (ALT + ENTER)and do a global change from the notes tab selecting upward or downward as appropriate from the slur direction box.

If you now go through and put your slurs in - they will all be the required direction.

If you are one of those people that pputs the lyrics in before the notes so that everything looks right as you are creating your masterpiece, then this method is no good.

I would suggest that you just put in the slurs as you go along so that the lyrics are correct. Don't, at this stage, worry about the direction.

When you have finished the stave, and the lyrics are lined up correctly because you have all of the slurs in place, then use the method above to select all notes and change the slur direction.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Reply #2
In short, you can change slur directions very quickly for a whole staff by:

- Press Home key
- Press and hold Shift key, then End key (Shift+End)
- Press Ctrl+Enter
- Change the slur direction in the Notes tab (and if necessary the Rests tab)
- Press OK

Reply #3
Of course this is also valid for ties either :)

Reply #4
> In short, you can change slur directions very quickly for a whole staff by:

>[...]
> - Press Ctrl+Enter

Ctrl+Enter?

I think you'd mean either Ctrl+E or Alt+Enter. Ctrl-Enter does nothing.