Skip to main content
Topic: Simply foolish! (Read 2962 times) previous topic - next topic

Simply foolish!

A friend passed me some MIDI files on which someone had the wonderful idea of adding lyrics using NWC.
No need to say what happened to dynamics, MPC, n-tuplets, slurs...

NWC was never conceived for that. The wrong tool for the wrong result.
It's like using a knife to open a can: unless you're really skillful you'll end up enjuring yourself... and anyway the result isn't worth the effort.

There are so many programs in the web explicitly made for that purpose!

Of course those MIDI files went quickly to the wasteba... ooops, sorry, the recycle bin.

Re: Simply foolish!

Reply #1
Yeah, but that said - it surely would be nice if the MIDI import into NWC was better - plus tuplets etc...  I know most of the information simply isn't there in an easily accessible way and would be difficult, but not impossible I imagine, to infer.

And there's lots of other stuff on the wishlist that I'd like to see soon too...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Flurmy, part of the problem with importing "just any" MIDI file into NWC, or any notation software, for that matter, is that often those MIDI files were compiled on just the kind of programs you are extolling, by non music readers, input with MIDI controllers that put the slight variations of tempo in normal, musical playing into the file as literal, non-quantized durations, as well as total disregard for time signatures, bar lines, pick-up notes, key signatures, repeat signs, and the like.  Where all notation programs like even rhythmic time values, dynamics and other controllers in their own native format, etc., though I wish tuplets imported as well.

There are some solutions to importing MIDI in a more notation-friendly way, most of which require some trial and error to get to optimum settings that require a minimum of editing.  Lawrie and I, among others, contributed to a related thread about a year ago and there are other related threads here as well.  A search for those may be of some help.  And some of us might even like the challenge of your posting the MIDI files here to see if we can tame their wild ways a little! ;)

Reply #3
Milton, it's late: I already emptied the wastebasket! ;-)

Don't worry: simply wishing, it should be easy to find somewere the MIDI files as they were before the NWC crunching.

I know very well what you're saying about importing MIDI files in a notation program, but that's not what was needed.
The need (I mean, for the one who used NWC on those files, not for me: I really don't care about those songs!) was just to add lyrics to the vocal line, nothing less, nothing more, and for this there are so many dedicated programs around; some good, some bad, of course.