Skip to main content
Topic: Garritan Personal Orchestra (Read 3830 times) previous topic - next topic

Garritan Personal Orchestra

Does anyone know of a way to use Garritan thru' NWC?  I know how to set up ordinary sound-font files but GPO is different.  VST?  I can make GPO work if I use a different notation app (such as Overture) but I haven't found one that works as consistently well as NWC and so am reluctant to change.

Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra

Reply #1
"Overture doesn't work as consistently well as NWC".

Interesting - please explain what you mean by this.

Reply #2
I guess I have gotten so used to NWC that anything else seems strange.  Primarily I find that entering note and instrumental changes (I work entirely in full score) to be at best awkward in Overture and at worst unpredictable.  With NWC I enter a patch change and it works and entering the notes is as quick as - or quicker than - typing this message.  Becuase I produce demo CDs and because the majority of my work is orchestral I thought I would try GPO for a more 'realistic' sound.  Unfortunately, as I said, I cant get this to work in NWC...

Reply #3
Phil may have answered his own question partly. I too would like to use Garritan Personal Orchestra rather than the lamentable wavetables provided by Creative Labs and others. GPO does use VST I understand, and shipped with GPO is a copy of Cubasis. A workaround might be to export the score as a type 1 midi file, import it into Cubasis and then use GPO as a VST.

Reply #4
Or download the Overture/GPO package.

Reply #5
For all! NWC will work with GPO. NWC should see an entry for GPO studio 1-8 if you have GPO installed locally and for those that use Maple Midi, I see the option in NWC for it, I have not officially tried it, be there should be no reason for it not to work if it is straight midi out to Maple. But GPO DOES WORK!

Reply #6
This is true.  I used GPO witn NWC for a bit.  Great software, some of the best instruments samples out there for a good price.

Reply #7
I just picked up GPO a couple of days ago.  It works like a charm with NWC.

In NWC: Options --> MIDI tab.  Add GPO 1-8 to playback devices.  Selcet desired channels.

Open Garritan Personal Studio, not Garritan Personal Orchestra.  Click Player 1.  Load desired voice.  Switch channel to match NWC (it's only labeled with a tiny icon that looks like the end of a MIDI cable).  Repeat for other instruments.

Play piece in NWC.  Voila!  Beautiful instruments!