Skip to main content
Topic: Different fonts???? (Read 5342 times) previous topic - next topic

Different fonts????

I Just wondered, how do you install custom fonts?

Re: Different fonts????

Reply #1
Just install them like any ordinary Windows font (either copy to the Fonts folder or use Control Panel -> Fonts to install).

Then, in Page Setup -> Fonts tab, select the installed font as User 1, 2, ...

Reply #2
Also, keep in mind that the custom font is not contained within your NWC files, only the "call" to the font is contained. If you send a *.nwc file to someone else, they won't be able to see the custom symbols unless the same font is installed on their computer.

You may be able to embed custom fonts (along with the font used by NWC) in a PDF file, if you are using that technology.

Reply #3
David,

You posted a question to the forum last month about installing custom fonts.  Did you have any luck?  I tried installing a font for tin whistle tabs but I can't get the tabs to show up or print.  I can chose the font from the list in Page Setup but that does not change the font.  If you prefer, you can reply to me off-forum at dfoster3@woh.rr.com.

Thanks,
Dayna

Reply #4
I sent a font that I made to a friend of mine, who sent it to his brother.  It will not display in the brother's files.  It is installed in the proper folder and it shows up in the list of fonts, but it does not display properly in the files (he sees plain old letters, but it is a hairpin font).  The font works properly on my system and my friend's.  What should we do?

Reply #7
If you wish, send me (a) the font, and (b) the NWC file (*.nwc) into which you placed the font. I'll have a look.

Put both of them into a ZIP file, or they may be garbled in transit. My e-mail address is beneath my picture at http://www.icogitate.com/~ergosum

By any chance, are you sending your friend the file as PDF? If so, some users report that PDFwriter doesn't always do the job, but Acrobat Distiller and Ghostscript do work.

Reply #8
...are you sending your friend the file as PDF?
Nope.  What I sent to my friend (let's call him "Jim") was the font.  What Jim sent to his brother (let's call him "Joe") was a number of NWC files in which he (Jim)(successfully) used my font.  Joe asked Jim what all those letters meant (it's a hairpins font).  Jim said "Whoops" and sent Joe my font.  Joe installed it to the proper folder, it shows in the list of fonts, but it wont display properly.  The NWC files that Joe's viewing came from Jim, on whose computer they work fine.  Joe is using the same OS as each of us.  If I send you the zipped files, everything probably will be okay on your system, but I may send them anyway.

Reply #9
Some older Windows systems can have too many fonts installed, and installing new ones won't work, even though they exist in the font folder. This is easy to test by previewing the font in the font folder. You will not see the correct glyphs in the preview when this happens. This might be the problem.

Reply #10
Hey, thanks, Eric.  I'll have Jim check with Joe on that.  But I'm wondering:  How many is "too many fonts?"  I have 711 in there right now (which MS Works doesn't like, however), and it still works for me.
Some older Windows systems... He's using ME.  Is that old yet?

Reply #11
In my oppinion, Windows ME was old when it was released. I have neighbors that have trouble using it due to its very poor handling of system resources (on a basically new machine with much more memory than ME will ever utilize efficiently).

I think a substantially lower limit exists for all Windows versions that are not based on Windows NT, which is all of the Windows 95 strain (which includes Windows 95, 95-2, 98, 98-2, and ME), although I have not stress tested all of them. The Windows 95 strain actually improves the situation substantially from Windows 3.1, and as far as I know, Windows 2000 and Windows XP should not have such a limitation at all...all relevant font details should be stored in the registry and Win 2000/XP should not have any significant memory restriction.

It is also possible that a simple system reboot will solve your friend's problem (power all of the way down then power up). This sometimes will help, especially if your friend's system stays on all of the time.

See also:
- http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

Reply #12
...a simple system reboot will solve your friend's problem.
That was the first thing I had him try.
I know there are a lot of people out there who just let it go to sleep at night, and then wake it up in the morning.
Not the best idea.  I shut mine off completely every night.  If I don't, then the speakers stay on all the time, as well as the scanner.  And my old printer didn't have a power switch, so that would have been on also.
All night long.
Wasting electricity.
And money.