Skip to main content
Topic: Joining staves (Read 2797 times) previous topic - next topic

Joining staves

I am writing a magnificat with 7 staves. How do I join the top four staves together and the bottom three together, but not staves four and five, (separating choir and organ).

Re: Joining staves

Reply #1
You need to organize your score into "groups". Follow the online help by searching for "Staff Properties."

There may also be a way of editing the "canned" templates provided in the FILE NEW option, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

Reply #2
I'm not sure that grouping will achieve what you want.
The only work around I could suggest is to make the top and bottom staves in each group Upper Grand Staff and Lower Grand Staff.
This wont separate the two groups at the start of the page but will bracket each group. The bar lines will look odd at intermediate measures though.
This is an item to add to the wish list - Staff Style by Groups.
I would like to group Saxes, Trumpets, Troms and Rhythm into separate grouping in the score with the Orchestral Style corners at the top and bottom of each group.

Reply #3
You can get very close to what you want. Here are the steps:

1. Create a song with 7 staves
2. Mark the top and bottom staff with the "Orchestral" style (activate the staff, press F2, goto Visual tab, then field Style)
3. Lastly, mark any other staves as "Orchestral" that should be connected to the staff above it.

You will not get individual braces, but you will get bar lines connected for the staves that are marked as Orchestral.