Skip to main content
Topic: Forum navigation glitch? (Read 7983 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum navigation glitch?

When I'm in some message pages in this and the regular forum, my page up, page down, home, end and arrow keys don't work.

This is not in all pages, but definitely in some, such as https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5276

My mouse wheel still scrolls up and down the page.

It could be my browser conflicting with other software, but if it were, I would expect it to affect all webpages I visit.  There is no problem with my own website nor even in the forum entry pages here

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/forum/

and here
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwcforum/

I wonder if there's been some recent change to the NWC site that has affected the messages?  If others experience this, Eric might need to know.

Also I see the recent pages in the NWC2 forum go back about 2 weeks, but in the NWC forum, only 3 days.  That seems to be a change.

My software = Windows XP Professional, IE 6 (which I've been using since shortly after it came out, although this is a recent reinstallation).

Re: Forum navigation glitch?

Reply #1
Hey g'day David, owyagoinmateorright?

Sorry, but I can't report the same problems you're having on that page - works good for me.

Without wanting to sound smart are you sure the windows were active - that catches me all the time.  Windows decides to make another window the focus and I don't notice - I have a 2 monitor setup and the focus often goes to another window on the screen I'm not looking at - grrr.  Like I said, catches me all the time.

As for the recent pages, I did a message count and guess what - both recent lists have 75 messages.  I guess recent means "last 75 posts" not last x days.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I'm having problems as well. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Sometimes I have to click on the page to get them to work. I have noticed that when I have to click, tapping the Alt key twice really messes things up. I have to navigate away, then back. Even refreshing the page won't work.

I'm hoping this just goes away...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Hi Lawrie and Rick

I'm not yet ready for 2 monitors!  Cool.

Yeah, the window is active.  As I mentioned the scroll wheel works in the window, but the arrows, etc., don't.

Re the 75 items, I hope that won't be the case.  Sometimes I don't visit the forum for some time.  I can see missing a lot of messages, if I'm gone even for a week.

Be interesting to see if anyone else weighs in with the problem Rick and I have.

Reply #4
G'day David,
...scroll wheel... Doh!  Missed that.

As for the 75 items - What I normally do is click on the Activity link at the top of the normal forum page.

This sorts the the most recent to the top.  Then I can see where I'm up to by which links are grey.  The top grey one is the most recent one I've read.  Any blue ones above it have new stuff!

Of course, this depends on you not deleting files in IE's | Tools | Options |

Lawrie

Reply #5
Of course, this depends on you not deleting files in IE's | Tools | Options |

Or using Tweak UI / paranoia

Tina

Reply #6
I'm in the daily habit of using  IE PRIVACY KEEPER available from http://www.unhsolutions.net/

You have to be cautious with what you decide to clear out.  You may end up losing your favourites and you may lose passwords for some of your automatic logons.

Reply #7
Hmm, I think a little paranoia can be a good thing, but it is important to establish a reasonable balance...

Losing you favourites might be a little too cautious but I must say, I absolutely never allow IE to remember passwords for me.

Coming from a network support background, security is something I take very seriously and this "feature" of IE (and the other browsers if the truth be told) is in my opinion, the single most irresponsible piece of coding I've ever seen.  Always excluding virii and spyware and the like of course.

Hmm, must be a hobby horse to elicit that strength of response...

Lawrie :)

Reply #8
>I wonder if there's been some recent change to the NWC site that has affected the messages?

Yes. This is a consequence of some recent changes designed to deal with a long post that does not include white space (see https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4518.msg33314#msg33314). In IE, this causes some changes to keyboard and mouse handling, depending on where your keyboard focus is assigned on the page. If you click outside of a message or reply area (such as in one of the gray author bars), your browser should pass keyboard and mouse action to the entire page, rather than capture it in the specific divided message area.

Reply #9
It seems to act very predictably now.
If I click in a user message, the cursor keys are ignored.
To select any text in a message, I must use the mouse.

Pressing Tab key,  clicking on the top or bottom of the page, or clicking on any blue bar  cancels the effect.
I would say that this is quite acceptable.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
I should have said blue author bars in reply 8.