Skip to main content
Topic: more questions (Read 5227 times) previous topic - next topic

more questions

1.Describe how to conduct in 4/4 time.
2.How many sharps in the key of A#. What are they?
3.Which hand (when using one hand) do you conduct with?
4.In Canada, what is the tempo for the double march?
5.What is the Mace used by the drum major for?
6.Name anthems that you have to salute to.
7.What is the British national anthem?
8.Who wrote the piece commonly known as 'Ode to Joy'?
9.Is the Canadian National Emblem 'Oh Canada' a march?
10.Who would a military band play the 'General Salute' for?
11.How do you bring a bugle up to play from attention?
12.Name the notes in the spaces in the bass clef.
13Explain one of the fingerings for Bb on a tenor sax.
14If you play the clarinet, and you are reading tenor sax music, would you have to transpose it to play it?
15.Are the fingerings for trumpet and baritone (treble clef) the same?

can u please give me a hand becuase i have never herd of this stuff and i cant find it anywhere

Re: more questions

Reply #1
1. This may sound a little gross, but it's the way I can most accurately describe the picture in front of me. Picture a nose. Come down from the top of the nose for beat one. Trace the top of the nostral hole ending left at beat two. Trace the outside of this nostral to the other side of the nose and beat three is on the right there. Head back up to the top for the final beat.

2. Lets give you a general method. I'll assume you mean A# major. Now every major scale has to have one of each of the letters in the musical alphabet plus another of the note that began the scale to complete the octavo. Thus for a sharp, there has to be A B C D E F G A. We know from the name of the scale that A has to be sharpened. We can now figure out the rest of the scale. The whole steps line up like the piano keys || |||. Thus A# plus a whole step is B# (yes, that's also C, but remember our rule...). Lets take another whole step from B#. (If it helps, think of it as C.) Thanks Cx (x=double sharp). Now looking at our layout, we have a half step so that the next note is D#. Get it? So we then have E# Fx Gx and A#.

3. Usually the right one(?)
4.-5. ??
6. Star Spangled Banner...(I don't know any others)
7. ?
8. Ludwig van Beethoven
9. Well its 4/4 so it's certainly marchable...
10. ?
11. Raise it up to your mouth.
12. All Cows Eat Grass
13. ?
14. No
15. Yes but the note names aren't. The trumpet notes are named one step higher. Never the less, if the director wanted concert Bb, both instruments would play the same fingering (open).

I can see why you would not have found some of this stuff, but stuff like #8 is very basic. Where did you look?

Reply #2
1. Well as long as you dont try to chew gum while yer conducting it dont matter cuz the musicians aint gonna pay no attention at least in my class they dont and if you take the gum out and stick it under the podium sisters gonna whack yer knuckles.
2. I dunno bout no sharps cuz my fingers are kinda short and I cant reach the black keys annyway so this is like a trick question.
3. This is a nobrainer cuz if you only got one hand thats the one you gotta use innit?
4. Its like this EH eh EH eh.
5. Keeps away the preverts.
6. Well if yer like me you dont salute to no anthems unless sisters gonna whack yer knuckles.
7. Think maybe its god save the queen i heard a recording of it once and it was real good i think the drummer later died of drugs or somethin.
8. Think it was some guy ran a pub in the midlands but a hunnert year later some german guy ripped off the music.
9. I never saw no canajians marching to it.
10. Whoever puts five bucks in the tip jar at least thats the way it works with the pianner player down at the local pizza place.
11. I dunno I aint never paid no attention at least that what sister sez.
12. Harry Jack Tess and Moe and if you dont like those name them yerself.
13. If i did that sister would rap my knuckles fer sure.
14. jeez if i had a clarnet why would i wanna read tenner sax music dont those sax players have a life of their own they gotta bug me?
15. sister says now ive really done it so i gotta go.

Reply #3
1. Francis' method is quite interesting, and basically correct.
2. I'll assume you mean A# major.
Well, Virginia, there is no A# major.  A# minor, on the other hand, has 7 sharps - the most available in a key signature.  A# Aeolian also has 7 sharps, the same as A# minor.  A# Phrygian has 6 sharps (everything except B), and A# Locrian has 5 sharps (everything except B and E).
In Francis' reply, to complete the octavo should read to complete the octave.
3. The right one is the right one.
5. Originally, to "conduct" the band.  Now, it's basically an ornament.
13. First finger of left hand, and first finger of right hand (thumb optional, depending on the octave).
14. That would depend on whether you want it to be in the correct octave.  A written C will sound as a B flat on each of these two instruments, but the tenor sax B flat is one octave lower than the clarinet B flat.
15. The fingerings for trumpet and baritone (treble clef) are the same, and so are the note names.  A C on the staff is a C on the staff, no matter what instrument is reading it.  The baritone in treble clef is a transposing instrument, so a C on the staff will sound as a B flat, though one octave lower than the trumpet.

Now, if you "have never [abbr=a group of cows?]herd[/abbr] of this stuff and [abbr=a slanting surface?]cant[/abbr] find it anywhere," do you think that having us do you homework for you is what being a "Web Cadet" is all about?

Reply #4
omigod, sister's still around? and jest as the nightmares were starting to go away

wonder how many rulers shes gone through in fourty years

Reply #5
Well although the key of A# is not one of the keys listed in the offical 15, it is possible to do. I was taught that there is a key Fb if you use a double flat and so I think there is also the key of A#. Hmmm. About my typo: I guess I've been singing too much... For #15 I guess I was thinking of Baritone BC

Reply #6
I think the important thing to remember wrt music theory is that it should be something useful rather than a hindrance.

If you write something in Fb just to be "different", you're probably just a fool, and your performers will curse you from capo to coda. However, if you modulate from Gb to Fb to emphasize the underlying harmonic relationship, you're possibly doing your performers a favour.

Don't be afraid to break a rule if it makes the music better. But don't break rules just because you can.

Reply #7
...don't break rules just because you can.
Sounds like something sister would say, doesn't it choir boy.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #8
aint no fun breaking rules just cuz i can i wanna break rules i cant break.

Reply #9
In regard to Reply 5 -
Double flats and double sharps do not belong in a key signature.
There is no F flat [abbr=There is F flat Lydian, however.]major[/abbr], and there is no A sharp major.
Period.

Reply #10
Sounds like something sister would say, doesn't it choir boy.

hey man dont blow my cover. since sisters still around im tryin to get on her gud side, she still blames me for that little thing about the mouse and the sacramental wine

Reply #11
1.Describe how to conduct in 4/4 time.
Stand in front of the band and wave one arm, usually holding a little white stick.

2.How many sharps in the key of A#. What are they?
Sharps, flats, who cares? Play everything in C major.

3.Which hand (when using one hand) do you conduct with?
The one that has the little white stick in it.

4.In Canada, what is the tempo for the double march?
We don't march, we drive.

5.What is the Mace used by the drum major for?
Well, the mace is a huge stick with a fancy weight on the end.  Great weapon, and good for controlling the band.  On the other hand, Mace is sort of like pepper spray, and is good for controlling the band too, although if used on wind players, may interfere with their ability to play.

6.Name anthems that you have to salute to.
National anthems.

7.What is the British national anthem?
U.K. the Beautiful.

The guy Joy lent some money to.

9.Is the Canadian National Emblem 'Oh Canada' a march?
No, the emblem is either the maple leaf or a beaver.  Also see answer to 4. above.

10.Who would a military band play the 'General Salute' for?
A lieutenant-colonel.

11.How do you bring a bugle up to play from attention?
Don't you mean make a bugler pay attention?

12.Name the notes in the spaces in the bass clef.
Fred, Bobby, Sue and Mary.

13. Explain one of the fingerings for Bb on a tenor sax.
It helps you produce a sound pitched at concert Ab.  Two other ones do, too, if you're playing middle line Bb.  You have three fingerings for the Bb an octave higher too, but if you want the fingering for the low Bb, there's only one fingering.

14 If you play the clarinet, and you are reading tenor sax music, would you have to transpose it to play it?
No, just learn to play tenor sax, and beg, borrow, rent or steal one.
If you want to play it on clarinet, you have to transpose it, but I'm not going to tell you how far.

15.Are the fingerings for trumpet and baritone (treble clef) the same?
Who knows?  I play tenor sax and clarinet.

Reply #12
Ludwig van Beethoven.

Hey, I play clarinet too.

Reply #13
I thought Schiller wrote Ode to Joy. LvB merely added a few notes of music to it!

Reply #14
How do you know? Atleast for Clarinet its Ludwig Van Beethovan