Skip to main content
Topic: Note Spacing to wide on some (Read 2723 times) previous topic - next topic

Note Spacing to wide on some

I am trying to help a guy to input his nusic. But when I do the notes I have to much spacing between some of the notes it spaces out the lyrics and notes and I need to shorten up the spacing to get the music and lyrics on one line.

also when I try to go to the next line it connects the two staffs how do i seperate the two staffs

Gary

Re: Note Spacing to wide on some

Reply #1
G'day Gary,
I think there is a product knowledge issue that needs to be addressed first.

Unlike other music editors I've seen the NWC editor is not truly WYSIWYG.  When editing a staff, you keep editing from left to right without wrapping down the page.

If you create another staff, it is NOT a continuation of the staff above.  Rather it is another voice or instrument that runs in conjunction/parallel to the first staff.

Print time is when wrapping occurs.  You can see what the layout will be in | File | Print preview | or just click the Print preview icon on the toolbar (looks like a page with a magnifying glass over the lower right corner).

You can control spacing in several ways but I think you should first try print preview to see what you will really be getting.

If it is not satisfactory, then the page setup dialogues will allow you to control the staff size in points and the size of the lyric font.  Both of these can have a profound effect on the actual staff layout including spacing and wrapping.

You can also turn on extra note spacing in the properties dialogue of individual notes.  It is also possible to turn off spacing that is proportional to note length.  This is done in the Options tab of the page setup dialogue.

Another possibility is to force a system break (force the staff to wrap) by checking a setting in the barline properties dialogue.  This particular property is only effective on the top staff.  Important when you are notating multiple voices/instruments each on their own staff.

When you do this, the bars that are left on that particular "line" are stretched across the entire page.  It is possible to have one bar take the entire page width in this way.

I suggest you check these things out and let us know how you got on.  If you are still having problems we'll try to resolve them for you.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.