Skip to main content
Topic: A SUGGESTION ABOUT NWC V.2 (Read 5272 times) previous topic - next topic

A SUGGESTION ABOUT NWC V.2

Good morning,

I am a user registered of NOTEWORTHY COMPOSER that has gone bringing up to date the version with discharges since its page Web.  (The last one 1.75b).  I have verified that they are preparing the version 2 and it would please myself to contribute a suggestion.  I have utilized its program to direct a polifonic choir.  It would be possible to include an instrument of human voice (female and male) that read the letter (lyrics) introduced in the score and "sing it" according to the same one?  Would be of great aid.  Otherwise, the program seems fantastic and not abandonment to recommend it.
Pardon if my English is not very good, I have utilized a translator on-line.
Carlos Pascual Sánchez
Madrid-Spain.
Many Thanks.

Re: A SUGGESTION ABOUT NWC V.2

Reply #1
That is a very difficult request. It would not be a simple feature.

Reply #2
That would be nice, but it would be hard and considering that NWC2 will be able to sing the lyrics, it will sound odd and strange considering pitch, volume, and most importantly, the robotic sound

Reply #3
Besides, software that sings lyrics already exists. Anyone requesting the feature in NWC presumably hasn't tried a web search.

Last year, Yamaha introduced Vocaloid. It got a LOT of press, and has big names behind it. But judging from the user forum, the product is disappointing.

Reply #4
The keyboard player in my swing band has a voice that "sings" doo doo ba doo ba DOT - touch sensitive.
It is so cool.  If I could just find a soundfont like that, I wouldn't care about being able to sing actual lyrics.

Reply #5
You Mean like Scat singing?

If the notes sound different on the keyboard other than the pitch(if the pitch changes) that means the notes' been recorded

Nowaday synthisizers  \has wenttoo far

Reply #6
Which means it can't be a soundfont

Reply #7
This is one of those really bad ideas. It's like saying "I wish my hacksaw had a slot for Phillips screwdriver tips."

Once the programmer gets into the business of hacking around some of the world's sound cards, all the people who have UNSUPPORTED sound cards (which will be, most of them!) will be out of luck. Bad, bad, bad design.

Let NWC take care of musical notation, and leave playing MIDI to ... the MIDI drivers. That way is  better for all concerned.

If you think a synthesized singing voice is a good idea, implement it to play from a MIDI file. And you can sell it to Noteworthy Compuser users, MIDI Orchestrator users, Sibelius users, ....

Decent modularity in software design makes more good software available to more people.

Reply #8
I am writing music for my band with Noteworthy. During writing I had the following two problems:

- Drum-rolls are hard to write. This is because there is no possibility to couple notes into abreviatures.

- The second problem I have is that I cannot write my songs to an audio-cd. When I make a demo of my music I cannot let it hear to the musicians. Making an export to .wav or .mp3 could be a possibility.

I am sure that when you can make these changes many more people will buy your software.

Regards,
Roland.

Reply #9
Regarding drum rolls: An authentic-sounding drum roll is difficult to achieve with any MIDI-based music notation software. The reason is that, unlike real drums, each software command to strike the drum terminates the sound from the preceding strike. This produces a staccato effect, rather than a smooth roll. It would require "separate drums" in the sound card, controlled by different channels in MIDI (and in the music software) to achieve a roll. Maybe some sound cards can do that; but most cannot.

As for the export directly to WAV or other audio format: There is no need to build that into NWC, since it can easily be achieved now, using existing free software. The audio necessarily requires instrument definition databases that are external to the notation software, and these are large files. I have a hunch that anyone who can't trouble to get the external software would be disinclined to notate music, in any event.

But I don't speak for NWC.

Reply #10
re: audio cds

I personally save my NWC files as a MIDI file and open them in CakeWalk Music Creator. Then I tweak the MIDI to make it sound good and convert it to MP3 format. Then I burn it like any other LEGALLY obtained MP3.  ;-)

Reply #11
There's a freeware program called Flinger that can sing from midi.  Just have the lyrics and melody that goes with those lyrics on the same staff in NWC and when NWC exports to a midi file Flinger will sing the lyrics.

Brian E. Young