Skip to main content
Topic: text expression - eighth notes into blues triplets (Read 2859 times) previous topic - next topic

text expression - eighth notes into blues triplets

How do I put in a text expression to indicate that beamed eighth notes are to be played as if they are a quarter note, eigth note triplet (or, if you prefer, two tied eighth notes with a third eighth note, played as a triplet)?

Re: text expression - eighth notes into blues triplets

Reply #1
You may either indicate :
  • "swing 8ths" with a text item in a "normal" font
  • use a text item with a musics symbol font such as Chopin, Bach, inkpen2, marl...
  • add a muted staff with no line, height 0, on which you enter notes (high enough) exactly as you want them, with a text item containing an equal sign. You may do the same with a layered staff.
I think the first solution is the simplest; the second, must provide the extra font; and the third is the most "NWC"-style. You'll probably need to enter empty measures after this on the extra staff for correct printing (all staves must be the same length).
I'll make a template for this, if interested. I'll add it in my "jazzy.nwc" examples, cf. https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2363: How to Make NWC Play Jazz, to which I must give some more new possibilities I've found, in which case I'll probably use this extra staff as the "tempo master" staff.

HTH!

Reply #2
There's an example that might be helpful, an NWC file of Alley Cat

Reply #3
PS - the example in the previous post requires the boxmarks font for proper screen display.