Skip to main content
Topic: Importing recording..... Help!?!? (Read 3917 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing recording..... Help!?!?

I am attempting to transcribe a jazz trio with rhythm section by Gery Mulligan. Since I am unable to locate a lead sheet or any music whatsoever, I decided to try to take my CD and put in on NWC from there. Is this possible? If so how do I do it? The directions are confusing, and I'm not sure if I can do what I am attempting. I am trying to place the CD in my computer's CD Rom drive and record it from there. Can anyone help me?
Thanks, Kelly

Re: Importing recording..... Help!?!?

Reply #1
Sorry, Kelly

NWC will import MIDI files. A CD recording is not a MIDI
file.

Reply #2
The newsgroup comp.music.midi talks about this a bit (converting sampled music to midi).
I guess it is a little like speech recognition, but I think the general consensus is that it is still in the theoretical stage.
The best way may be to sample it 30seconds at a time, change to half speed, and transcribe it by ear and hand.
Not very helpful, I know, but computers aren't quite THAT smart yet.

I find with transcriptions that sitting at a piano/keyboard and getting the chords first helps immensely.
After that, get the main part of the melody. The improvs you should improvise... ;-)

Andrew

Reply #3
Computers may not be that smart, but the Japanese are. They have software which will take a recording of a big band and create all of the parts. It's reputed to run about $20,000. Out of my budget.