Skip to main content
Topic: Computer doesnt recognize my keyboard (Read 16018 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer doesnt recognize my keyboard

Well I got the keyboard and I got the MIDI cable to hook up to my computer. I hooked it all up but the computer doesn't recongize anything I am sending. Isn't it true that with NWC I record the keyboard?
Maybe it's in the MIDI cable I got. the MIDI cable is really hooked up to the keyboard port and converts it to a MIDI input port. Is there some type of software to download to tell the computer there's a keyboard here?
What can I do?

Russ K.

Re: Computer doesnt recognize my keyboard

Reply #1
This may seem a silly thing to say but have you tried swapping the in and out midi plugs around. Sometimes logic would tell you to connect them one way when the illogical way is the one that works.

Try it anyway.

BTW Yes you can record from a keyboard into Noteworthy.

Richard

Reply #3
From your description your midi keyboard is connected to the qwerty keyboard input plug on your computer.Is this so?

Usually the midi keyboard connects to a 15 pin D connector (like a joystick port) on your sound card.
The two Din plugs connected to the D connector on the cable carry Midi In (to the computer) and Midi Out (from the computer).

Reply #4
well i still dont know whats wrong with it. It is hooked up t the joystick out port and directly into the back of my MIDI keyboard. Nothing's happens. I've tried the option on my MIDI keyboard called "bulk send" which supposedly send its stored music files into the computer via the cable cord, but NWC shows no response. I've tried hitting the record but etc. but it's just now being recognized! It's frustrating.
Any other solutions?

Russ K.

Reply #5
I've just picked up on this thread, and one possibility comes to mind - many computers now come with 'built-in' sound - they don't have a seperate sound card. This may be affecting your MIDI capability. The fact that you have a joystick port may give the lie to this, but do you have a seperate card - if so, what is the make and model? If not, perhaps this is your problem.

HTH, Peter.

Reply #6
alright. I got the keyboard to work! the problem was simply that I had the IN to the IN and the OUT to the OUT where it shouldv'e been the other way around, which doesn't really make sense, but it works.
I also have a new question though: my keyboard only plays quarter notes and if I hold the "left hand" say for a whole note it only plays a quarter note and the "right hand" only adds memebers of a chord to the quarter note that the "left hand" should be holding for a whole notw count. In short, it only plays quarter notes no matter how fast I play or how slow i play.
Is this normal?! Any suggestins or help?

Russ Karloff

Reply #8
you mean the user guide that came with the software, the instruction manual?
And those links to the different messages don't help me. My problem is that anything i play is a quarter note, even if i play a 64th note! Therefore any melody I play is worthless because it has no rhythm. And by the time i get back to manually changing it, I've forgotten how it was supposed to be.

Russ

Reply #9
Yes, the User's Guide. Alternately, if you read the "see also" links you will find the answer to your problem.

Reply #10
Russ, I believe you're getting confused between Step time and Real time entry. Have a look at https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=834, and also read the sections in the Help File concerning the <MIDI Input Active> button (Step time entry) and <Record> button (Real time entry). Just to check, while you're getting only crotchets (quarter notes), try changing the note duration on the task bar to half notes and see what happens.

HTH, Peter

Reply #11
thanks for everyones help!
I figured out that I can't play real time and that I have to be recording another track while playing a latent tune.
Thanks, everything is working now.

Russ

Reply #12
I have similar midi problem.
I have a Sound Blaster Live Player 1028 and i have a midi connector in and out.
the out works fine on cakewalk on my roland jv1080
but the input from my yamaha an1x doesnt work.
i transmit on channel 1 when i connect the yamaha directly into the roland midi data gets send out (just to check the keyboard.
the driver in cakewalk seems to be set correctly.
could it be the cable? how to test the cable?

thx
dan

Reply #13
I have a internal sound card with joystick port and cakewalk and a roland mini keyboard. I have the keyboard set up to channel one and the cakewalk to channel one midi and i get nothing when I play or even record , nothing shows up. Is there something in cake walk I am missing plus, is there a way to test the joystick port. I have tested the keyboard with a midi sound unit and the keyboard is working so I know it outputs data. please help Thanks.
john

Reply #14
THANKS Richard.

My midi cable didn't work it didn't do anything. So I tried for soo long to make the midi work. I changed sound cards, I changed settings in bios and all sorts of software. All i needed was to make In to Out and Out to In. I bet it is a common problem that many other noobies like me have.

Will

Reply #15
Richard, isn't it amazing?  You gave the advice 6 years ago and it's still helping people.  Well done!

Reply #16
Isn't this great ? Yet another tribute to NWC.

Many forums and Message Boards clear out everything every six months or so, not bothering to archive.  This shows the value of those old tips and advice and how they are still relevant today.

Well done, NWC !