Skip to main content
Topic: copywrite (Read 3942 times) previous topic - next topic

copywrite

I've created a piano song which has grasped the attention of quite a few people that I don't know. They strongly encourage me to copywrite the song so that I can sell it. How exactly would I go about copywriting it? Is there any government notices or other legal papers that need to be filed?

Re: copywrite

Reply #1
I'll bet you get a dozen, incompatible answers to your question, often from users (such as myself) who don't know a thing about copyrighting original works of music. But there are also NWC users who are real musicians who really do know.

There are variations from country to country, too.

Until you get "sound" advice, I suggest that you put something such as "Copyright [year] by [your name], All Rights Reserved" where everyone can see it, and make sure that anyone who gets access to your music knows that you are not intending to freely release it into the public domain.

In the U.S., copyright law has changed within the last couple of decades.

Reply #2
Dan,

I suggest you get down to your local library, which almost certainly has books on making your way in the music industry. These should have the information you need. You might even call the library and ask the reference librarian to look this up for you.

(Actually, I have such a book myself, but it's at home and I'm not. If I get a chance I'll look this topic up and post what I find.)

Reply #3
In the United States once you put your music in a "fixed form" (ie sheet music, or a recording) you own its copyright. What you're asking is how do I register my copyright? Go to http://www.loc.gov/copyright/. They have the forms you need available for downloading. The site should answer all your questions. Be prepared to do a lot of reading.

- Steve

Reply #4
I went to the Copyright Office's website a while back to figure out how the system works, after several people had urged me to copyright my music. As far as I could tell, your works are actually protected by copyright law the minute you write them. Registering is too expensive for an amateur like me, but if you intend to sell your pieces, I believe that's the next step.

Reply #5
I believe there is something called a 'Poor Man's Copywrite.' What you do is make a cassette or CD of your music (or poems or whatever) and write a letter stateing the date,what is on the tape, who wrote the music and lyrics if any and who the performers are and sign the letter. You address it to yourself and take it to the post office to be stamped. Don't use a regular stamp...have the post office stamp it so that the stamp shows the local and date. When you receive the envelope at your residence....don't open it. This is a poor man's copywrite and as far as I know it is legal. My son did this a few
years back with all the music he composed. Then he contacted the u.s. government copywrite office and requested
the needed forms for a proper copywrite. It only cost about
$20.00 for each cassette and CD that he filled with his
music.
know it is legal.

Reply #6
Yes, the "Poor man's copyright" is certainly legal, but ineffective. Unfortunately this is one of those urban myths that refuses to die.

Copyright is one thing; you own the copyright to a piece of intellectual property from the moment of conception (in Canada, anyway; it's similar in the US but I don't know the exact wording). However, proving that you own the copyright is an entirely different matter. The burden of proof is on you to convince the court that you own the copyright. The only truly fail-safe proof is a registry with the copyright office. Something like a sealed envelope sent by registered mail is too easily forged.

Another myth is that registering your work with a royalty association (such as BMI or ASCAP) is an effective way of protecting copyright. Not so, and the royalty associations will generally be quite clear in disclaiming any connection with the copyright office.

Such methods may be of limited use as circumstantial evidence, but only if backed up by an actual copyright office registry.

Fred

Reply #7
Does getting the music performed and recorded help? Iwould have thought that that would prove that you'd had the necessary intellectual processes. Even better if you can get it published with a copyright notice.

Peter

Reply #8
Sadly, most of the information and mis-information concerning copyrights revolves around four basic issues:

(1) How can I make copies of everyone else's materials without paying them?

(2) How can I prevent everyone else from making copies of my materials without paying me?

(3) Who's going to know?

(4) What are they going to do about it?

Reply #9
You can obtain the information you need at http://www.loc.gov/cpoyright/ It is not necessary to copyright your material as in by doing so does not give you any protection other than establishing a public record showing WHEN the material was registerd.