Skip to main content
Topic: tags for ie and netscape +mp3 files (Read 2349 times) previous topic - next topic

tags for ie and netscape +mp3 files

I am trying to add an mp3 file to one of my links. It was successful using the embed tag with ie but nothing on netscape..(7.02)...I thought I read somewhere that ie and netscape supports the embed tag...I would appreciate some help....thanks in advance...

Re: tags for ie and netscape +mp3 files

Reply #1
"Embedding" any audiovisual in a web page has become very complicated, due to difference between browsers, version, and even some quirks.

Try this:

<object type="audio/x-mpeg" data="yourfilename.mp3" width="80" height="40">
</object>

There may be some parameters inserted between the beginning and end tags. In particular, you might want to control whether or not the file starts automatically. I picked random numbers for width and height.

The above works with Netscape 7.02 using Quicktime 6 as the default mp3 plug-in. It will NOT work for Internet Explorer. But you can use JavaScript to write code that is specific to the user agent:

if(document.all) {
document.write('    script for IE      ');
}
else {
document.write('    script for non-IE    ');
}

will cover most situations. Caution: use the backslash \ before any slash / or lessthan < to avoid parsing problems.

For the mutual benefit of music providers (digital rights management) and users (privacy and security), recent versions of audiovisual plugins (and Active X controls) do not permit the played audiovisual file to come from a "distant" location. I do not know how far away "distant" is. I advise you to place the played mp3 file in the same folder as the web page that calls it.

You can go to places such as Netscape Devedge:
http://devedge.netscape.com

for more information.

One way to get your mp3 file across that usually works is to allow the player to appear by itself, either as a floating pallett or sidebar, depending on the user's browser configuration (not within your control). If the user has any application defined to handle mp3 files by the browser, the application will be called separately. Disadvantages: The called application will use up visual space, not within your control (it may be a lot of space). Worse, the player may serve extraneous information (e.g., links to other audiovisual, distracting visualizations, etc.).

Hope that helps. If it doesn't... That's the Internet!

Re: tags for ie and netscape +mp3 files

Reply #2
Thank you.....will try it