Skip to main content
Topic: Strange playback (Read 5121 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange playback

For some reason when i enter the notes in and NWC2 plays them as i do, i get the note sound, but its cut short at the end.  Its like it plays for a bit and then somethings chops off the sound at the very end of that note in such a way that it sounds nasty.  Not only that the passages sound so weird. Sometimes i load other files that are finished and it plays the sound fully, staccato or not. But, as i start notating, the weird effect comes back.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Strange playback

Reply #1
I haven't tried it yet, but I think you're using the audible note entry feature?  It might not have a good decay effect.

I think the feature is intended to be an aid to note entry, rather than for performance.  If you want a better quality playback, you would press F5 to play back the song.

Reply #2
I do hit F5 and in there lies the problem since the notes are played with a decaying end.  I dont care much for how it sounds on entry, but it also happens on playback. Its never done this before, and this doesnt always happen.  So, it might be my computer.

Reply #3
Have you tried changing the instrument for the staff?  If that doesn't help, you might create a .wav or .mp3 file and send it to NWC at !support@noteworthysoftware.com.

I'd send both the sound file and the nwc song file.  Make sure to describe your setup too - type of computer, specs, and  operating system.

Reply #4
If this is a new phenomenon that started recently, then it must be a result of some change to your system. For example:

Did you recently change the MIDI device that you use for play back? Try changing it back to the original device.

Did you recently update your MIDI device driver software? Perhaps this caused an issue.

Reply #5
I've actually had a similar problem in the latest update. I've found that the notes play at full length after I hit F6 a few times to clear the channels, though it rehashes every now and then. I didn't notice anything in the previous beta releases. I don't use the audible note entry, however. I can't seem to get the problem to happen at will.

Reply #6
The audible note entry feature has suddenly turned on -- don't know how I enabled it, but it's driving me crazy. How do I turn it off??

Reply #7
Hi Robert,

The audible note entry feature has suddenly turned on -- don't know how I enabled it, but it's driving me crazy. How do I turn it off??

Tools|Options|Midi TAB|Play notes on entry (check box halfway down in centre)

Lawrie

Reply #8
> I've found that the notes play at full length after I hit F6 a few times to clear the channels

This is a sign that you are probably playing material with hanging note ties. Eventually, the MIDI synth runs out of free voices to play back new notes. The Edit, Find feature can be used to locate hanging note ties.

Reply #9
Hi Robert,

Tools|Options|Midi TAB|Play notes on entry (check box halfway down in centre)

Lawrie

Thanks! I couldn't find that option.