Skip to main content
Topic: another soundfont question (Read 3489 times) previous topic - next topic

another soundfont question

I have a question, it may sound stupid:I downloaded a soundfont from the internet, and I don't know how to load, can I get any help?

Re: another soundfont question

Reply #1
Hi Jeff.  You must have a sound card that supports soundfonts like some version of SoundBlaster and the AudioHQ program that comes with the SoundBlaster cards.  I believe that all SoundBlaster cards support soundfonts and quite a few other brands do also.  Each brand should have it's own instructions for using the soundfonts.

Reply #2
Off-topic:

Let me point out that for those who do not have a sound card capable of loading sound fonts (or even don't have a sound card!), it is possible to record your NWC to a WAV file using software that will load *.sf2 soundfonts. My related user tip shows where you can get some of the software, BUT does not describe how to use soundfonts in software, since I don't know how to do it myself. Apparently it would involve manual editing of configuration and patch files.

Reply #3
I have a soundmax Integrated digital audio......can anyone tell how to load it on this soundcard?

Reply #4
IIRC Sound Max uses the Microsoft dls format - search for files on your computer with the extension .dls

These are not compatible with Soundfonts (extension .sf2), so you will either have to use a rendering application (Timidity or Audio Compositor) of install a soundcard which does support soundfonts.

"AWave Studio" from FMJ software claims to be able to convert from sf2 to dls, but I am unsure of the results. It also costs more than many decent soundcards!

Reply #5
You can use a program like Audio Compositor to take a midi file made from NWC and play it using a soundfount (or to save it to WAV). This should work on anysound card

Reply #6
RE reply 5: This is discussed at length in my user tip on getting audio (WAV, etc.) from NWC MIDI files.

Reply #7
I have Awave Studio (full version) and I converted a VERY good 60MB general midi SF2 soundfont file to the DLS format. I loaded the DLS file using the SoundMAX control panel and tried playing some midis, but the result is unfortunately a bit bad (some of the sounds aren't playing).

I am still looking for a solution to properly implement my converted DLS file into the SoundMAX control panel so it will play without any missing sounds.

If you have questions as to how I got this far, you're welcome to write me at my E-mail: shambler@ellernoget.dk :-)

I probably won't be checking back here, so if you reply to this thread, I won't know (hence me giving my E-mail address out).