Skip to main content
Topic: Another thread (Read 2081 times) previous topic - next topic

Another thread

Okay, I've spent over an hour using the search engine up there, and I can't find what I'm looking for, but I'd swear I read it here before.  Maybe I just don't know how to use the search engine, or maybe I'm just gettin' old.
The thread I'm looking for deals with balance/stereo pan.
I think someone asked about whether a track that's panned all the way to the left is louder or softer than a track that's centered.  I wanted to find out where this thread went (wow, two meanings, there...), because I noticed this also when I got a new computer.  On my older system, it was louder in the center (as if the volume for each channel is turned all the way up), and softer when panned to one side (as if the volume for the opposite side were turned all the way down).  On my current system, a pan to one side increases the volume to that side by quite a large amount.
If I am to create MIDI files for other people, it would be better for me if I knew which way most machines worked, so that other listeners would hear what I intended.
Any help (with the balance or finding that old thread) would be appreciated.

Re: Another thread

Reply #1
In the first place, the name of the thread is the only thing others have to see--it would be helpful if it described your question.

In NoteWorthy you can change the balance between the speakers by, when the staff you want to change is selected, hit F2 and select "Midi".  One of the windows is "Stereo Pan" which can range from 0 to 127 and is set at 64 by default.  Change it to adjust the volume from that staff going to each speaker.

Re: Another thread

Reply #2
...the name of the thread is the only thing others have to see--it would be helpful if it described your question.
Well, it kinda does, because it is about "another thread" that I couldn't find after spending over an hour using the search engine.
I do know how to change the balance.  What I'm interested in is whether a staff that is set to 0 or 127 will be louder or softer than a staff that is set to 64 on most people's systems.  On my older system, 64 was louder than 0 or 127, but on my newer system, 64 is softer than 0 or 127.
Quite a few of my NWC files sound rather different now, and I'm wondering how I should set them up to send to other people.
And any tips on how to find that "other thread" would also be appreciated.  (I didn't really want to start a new thread; I did what I was supposed to by using the search engine.  I just couldn't find it - please forgive!)