Skip to main content
Topic: what can I do about the compositions involving orchestra? (Read 4497 times) previous topic - next topic

what can I do about the compositions involving orchestra?

Hello, Im a composer from Costa Rica, I compose, Progressive Music, but the thing is, everything I compose is in Midi, and If I wanted someone to hear my music, I thought they would listen to midi.. instead they would want to listen to the real thing, that way theyll know its all real and good.. but I dont know how can I managw to get an orchestra so play my songs and to record it.. I mean, I know it could be expensive, but still I need to do this, i got all this awesome songs I have composed in midi, and they just stay there cause I dont know how to get an Orchestra to play them, so please, if someone can help me with this, and tell me how to manage this.

thankyou very much

Re: what can I do about the compositions involving orchestra?

Reply #1
Boy, where to start?
I don't even know if you have NoteWorthy yet, or are just previewing it.

Where are your files? Is it just a midi file? If so, then you need to go to NoteWorthy and do a File/open, set the directory where it will find those files, then set the file type to mid.
This will bring up defaults that you'll mostly have to play with (for importing). Set it for 8th note defaults at first, or maybe 16ths.  The goal is to get a legible file imported. If you're not happy, do it again with different settings.

Once in NWC, you'll have to think about ways to handle this. Transpose parts, assign instruments, etc.
If you wrote these in NWC, then you'll have to print out parts and find people to play these.
You may want to try manually copying some parts until you understand what it is that you want to do, and what your goal will be.

This is pretty general and hypothetical, but so was your question.

Reply #2
Hola:

Si me escribes en español intentaré ayudarte... chau...

Jubal Baca

jbal@mixmail.com

Reply #3
¡Bienvienidos a NoteWorthy Composer!
With this program you can import you midi and print it out as parts for an orchestra to play as Kent wrote. As far as getting a real orchestra to play, if you someone to play them, you have to convince them that your music is actually good by having a prerecorded copy that you got from an orchestra that played it because they thought your music was really good....

If you are really at a loss for an orchestra, try a school orchestra or a local orchestra for students. These groups usually encourage the composition of new songs so you will have a better chance of convincing them to play it.

Reply #5
or you can use soundfonts...i'm currently evaluating noteworthy to do my notation in...i love the notation capability, but not the soundfont capability (unless i'm missing something, it's not very versatile and uses a ton of memory)...

i'm currently using cakewalk for my notation, but i think i like noteworthy better...i seem to be able to do notation more quickly in nwc...

my plans are this...notate in nwc...convert to midi...open in cakewalk...apply soundfonts...play in cakewalk while recording as wav file...convert wav to mp3...then mp3 to cd...

there are some really good quality soundfonts out there that sound very much like the real instruments...of course, there is nothing better than a "real" orchestra, but i've found that a "soundfont" orchestra can be quite realistic...people often ask what orchestra performed the music they hear playing on my cd player...

just a thought...something you may could do in the interim if the orchestra thing does not work out right now...

cody