Skip to main content
Topic: How do I use text fonts (Read 3326 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I use text fonts

I have downloaded and installed BoxMarks, Crescendo, and NWSlur fonts. I printed the BoxMarks.pdf file which shows the mapping of keystrokes to characters. But, with the other two, how do I get the character I want? (Or know what characters are included?) Are all the included characters mapped to the keyboard? Or do I use Alt/NumKey combinations to enter ASCII values? If so, how do I know what value to enter?

Re: How do I use text fonts

Reply #1
I happen to be the creator of the NWslur font, and user of the others.

These fonts (or any True Type font) can be used in one of two ways, either (a) numeric keypad character code value, or (b) from a character map. In any case, the font must be installed in your system. And, if you are sending your composition to someone else, you will need to provide the font (unless you send PDF with embedded fonts).

Windows comes with a character map. But the one you get (unless you have XP) shows little bitty characters. Even the XP character map isn't the best. But if you already have an idea of what characters are available, it will help you find them. With a character map, clicking a character copies it to the clipboard (or sometimes, to an internal buffer that needs to be transferred to the clipboard). Then it can be pasted into the NWC text editor.

The NWC text editor will only show the "standard" txt character, even if you are using musical symbols. So don't be surprised if your glissando symbol, when pasted into the text editor, looks like something from Times new Roman. When you close the text editor, the correct font symbol will appear in your music - if you have the page set up to use that font.

Aligning the text with the surrounding music is a bit of an art. Experiment. The most common mistake is checking "preserve width" in the text editor, unless that's what you really mean.

As for NWslurs: That's a "hacker" font. I should know! The slurs come with an assortment of curvatures, lengths, and tilts. But aligning them with the music is a black art. For emergency use only.

Reply #2
Try this free program.  I love it.  It doesn't do as well on either creshndo or slurs, but on most fonts it is much better that the built in routine.  The original programmer seems to have vanished, but the program is still around.

http://www.georgedillon.com/web/freeware/charmappro.shtml

Reply #3
I'm with Cyril 100% on CharacterMap Pro. I even went so far as to put it on my desktop, with a keyboard shortcut (CNTL-ALT-M) so I can bring it up in a flash.

(NoteWorthy Composer is, of course, on CNTL-ALT-N.)

Reply #4
I've been using Typecase, which AFAIR was recommended by Robert (Reply 1).  I just downloaded CharacterMap Pro, and will install it, try it out, and then return here.

My NoteWorthy Composer is on the Start button - only two keystrokes for me.