Skip to main content
Topic: Plug-in---Is there any way to disable printing? (Read 3230 times) previous topic - next topic

Plug-in---Is there any way to disable printing?

I would like to demonstrate copyrighted work on my publishing company's website using NWC, but I don't want visitors to be able to print out copies. Is there any way to disable the printing feature? If not,would Noteworthy be interested in creating a special version that creates files that won't print??

Re: Plug-in---Is there any way to disable printing?

Reply #1
Noteworthy can speak for itself. I think it would be difficult to create two different "plug-in's": one that would allow printing and other of which would not. Perhaps a set of optional "security" features could be added to the main program, however.

If you happen to have Acrobat, the Distiller printer driver does have security settings that prevent printing of the pdf file. Moreover, can "batch" process a whole folder of pdf's. May want to explore that as a "workaround". If you want folks to hear the music at the same time, a midi link can also be made accessible through the pdf page. I think it may even be possible to have the music automatically start with the opening of the page (although I have not explored that option as such and personally have some concerns with pages that "automatically" begin playing music)

Hope that helps.

Reply #2
The plug-in supports printing, and you cannot disable it.

Reply #3
Hi!
To make a PDF-File you can use the Freeware pdf995.
http://www.pdf995.com/

Reply #4
You could also ask them to download and install NoteWorthyPlayer, which does not print.
However, if someone opens the file with NWC or NWBrowserPlugIn, then (s)he will be able to print.

Maybe you could record a video of the NWC browser plug-in playing on your computer, and propose only this file, not NWC file? This leads to:
  • the exact same sound as *you* have heard, since it's the sound recorded, whatever the sound card of the user may be;
  • the same color scheme as you defined;
  • no NWC source file in the wild;
  • no MIDI file (which could be converted) too;
  • but a big video file (.mov, .avi, ... as you wish or can), compared to the small size of an NWC file (even in uncompressed mode).
About how to create such a video file, I'm not aware of the better tool those days; on Win31, I used to use Screencam of Lotus. It's probably available for recenter version of windows though :)

And about the process of re-creating a score from an audio recording: such a work is not yet acceptable, so no risk of printing a score from this. Look for "wav2mid" in the forum...

Hope this helps!

Reply #5
Remember something else: even if they can't print the documet itself, people can simply hit the printscreen key, paste that into an image editor and print it there.  Completely preventing someone from printing a document is pretty much impossible.

Reply #6
In addition to printing disabling, I would also like to see enabling and disabling saving the .nwc file to the local computer as an option.

Reply #7
Even if the plug-in didn't provide a save option, there would still be ways to do it. (Clicking the link with the right button and choosing Save target as..., for instance.)