Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Quality ? (Read 6868 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Quality ?

heya.. noteworthy is great, but my computer sound is junk. what do you all suggest to improve sound quality? I assume it will be in the way of a new sound card but I have no idea which one.

Re: Sound Quality ?

Reply #1
Hi all,
After reading the newsgroup and seeing a message re sound playback, someone mentioned Wingroove. I tried it, and it actually leaves my midi sequencer for dead! The only problem is notes sound about 1/2 a second after the note highlights in NWC, but it's worth it to finally hear *all* the notes in my arrangements. Just a thought :)

Reply #2
I have a Yamaha SW60XG Sound card. This is a sample card that complements your digital WAV card eg Sound blaster etc. It supports General Midi with Great! quality samples and it also goes way beyond General Midi with the XG standard Hundreds of patches. Even Clasical Music sounds Orchestral (Not as good as a real Orchestra but better than the Roland Sound canvas "RAP 10" and "Ensoniq Elite" sample cards I have been useing!)

Yamaha have a virtual Sample software that works well and supports GM and XG see WWW.YAMAHA.CO.UK for details. You will need a MMX Pentium for this to work with no latency. It could be a very low cost and excellent solution. It should sound as good as the SW60XG as it offers the same Patches.

Reply #3
I'd think 2ce about Wingroov - see my review of it on this
forum about a month ago.

-Nigel

Reply #4
My playback sounded terrible until I began running my computers sound
output into my stereo amplifier/mixer and hi-fi speakers.
The change was incredible, even for a crappy computer.

Reply #5
Whatever you may try, there is no perfect substitute
for a good wavetable sound card. However, if you,
for instance, have a notebook computer with a built-in
sound card, it will normally be only a non-wavetable one.
In this case, the most viable solution is WinGroove.
I tried virtually everything I could find on the net,
and nothing worked so well... especially in the
shareware category. It's not perfect, but it is better
than FM synthesis for MIDI output.