Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Blaster Live!... (Read 3549 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Blaster Live!...

Hi all,

I mainly use Noteworthy for orchestral and chamber music. I am about to buy a Sound Blaster Live! soundcard to replace my old SB PCI 64. What difference in sound should I expect?

Thanking all, Clive

Re: Sound Blaster Live!...

Reply #1
big difference... but... beware that...the only sound that's no good is the timpani...in the sound blaster live...when played back in noteworhty composer...it goves a short, and light sound...doesn't sound like what timpani should be like at all...where as the pci64's or the awe64's...have much better sounds on the timpani...and maybe other instruments..

Reply #2
Also, alot depends on the Soundfont you load.

Ciao for now!
Curtis S

Reply #4
I bought a SB Live! X-gamer card, and now when I try and load NoteWorth, my computer freezes. Any idea how to fix this? I've tried re-installing NoteWorthy, but that doesn't work. Any and all help would be apprecitated.

Reply #5
Check to see if you can play standard midi files via the windows Media Player (any version). If so, NWC should behave identically if you set the playback device to "Midi Mapper." If not, you have some sort of conflict. Check it out in Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager. Watch for little yellow exclamation points... and go from there.

Reply #6
Reinstalling NWC will almost never help in solving problems like this. You have a setup problem with your new hardware. It is either:

- a resource conflict (go to Setting | Control Panel | System to investigate)

- improper or incompatible device drivers for your hardware (this includes leaving your old sound card drivers installed after you have removed the hardware, or installking the wrong drivers for your new hardware)

- faulty hardware (this is unlikely, but always a remote possibility)

The bottom line: when an application stops working correctly after you install new hardware, your investigation should focus on the new hardware and its drivers. The application failure is just a consequence of the larger problem.