Skip to main content
Topic: Using the Noteworthy Composer in Prison (Read 3400 times) previous topic - next topic

Using the Noteworthy Composer in Prison

This is surely a question for Noteworthy Software but I don't know where else to ask?  Please forgive me in advance for the lengthly nature of this message.

I'm involved in a Christian Prison Ministry, primarily in the area of the Chapel music.  When creating sheet music, the inmates have been trying to use a donated version of Cakewalk with little success.  For one thing, it's just too complicated!  After explaining to the inmates that I am a Noteworthy user and how easy Noteworthy is to operate (plus the fact that there's a lot of Hymns out there already available in the .nwc format ;-), They now would like to try it.  I have offered to donate one (or two copies) of the Noteworthy Composer to the chapel office.

Here's the problem: The inmates at this institution do NOT (and CANNOT) have access to the internet.  This makes registration difficult (the administrative people would have to do manual registration via forms you send in the package).  However, how will they do their updates since the update process assumes that you are connected to the web?

I connect to the web to get my updates from Noteworthy and I'm willing to pass the update file(s) on to them.  My question is, is this legal?  Are the updates "keyed" to whoever is logged on?  Would I have to get them a separate download file for each copy of Noteworthy they have?

If you have any information on how I can do this, please let me know.

-Ray-

Re: Using the Noteworthy Composer in Prison

Reply #1
As their name implies, the updates are provided only via the web site. However, a system administrator should not have too much difficulty applying web updates. Simply retrieve the CD update, save it to diskette or other media, and apply it to the offline systems in conjunction with the licensed CD.

Reply #2
This would be a good time to point out that there's a fairly large body of traditional Christian hymns available, either in native NWC format, or in MIDI that can be imported to NWC. You can find many of them via the user links page (get there from the NWC home page).

Reply #3
=== Noteworthy Software said: ===
>However, a system administrator should not have too much >difficulty applying web updates.

Oops!  I probably mislead you there.  When I said administrative, I meant prison office workers.  There are no "computer system administrators" available to the inmates.  They pretty much have to install their own software (they don't even have a network for printing!).  All computers accessable to the inmates are "free standing".

As a volunteer, I have to adhere to a policy of "nothing in, nothing out".  I can't even give a guitar pick (or a note, or a piece of paper) directly to an inmate.  Therefore, everything MUST go through a prison official.  Prison officials are the ONLY persons that can issue things to (or recieve things from) an inmate.  In my case, it's the prison chaplain or his administrative assistant (neither of which are too computer literate).

So, would it be possible for me to buy the software from NoteworthySoftware and have the packages sent to me; so that I can hand deliver the packages to the prison administration people and let them register the software by mail?  The Administration would then turn the software over to the inmates so that they could install it themselves.

If so, will it be OK (legally) for me to simply retrieve the CD updates for them as they become available, put the updates on a disk, give it to the prison officials who will then give it to the inmates so that they can run the update?

Sorry if I seem so "dense" and "long-winded" but I want to make sure that I'm doing everything the way I should.

--==Ray==--  <((><

Reply #4
I recommend you address your sales questions to our sales staff.

Reply #5
This thread became inactive with no indication of whether the problem had been solved.  In a case like this, one will be dealing with officials at a pretty low level, who probably have not yet figured out what those things with a TV plugged into a little typewriter are.

If there is no problem from the NoteWorthy side, there is likely to be one from the prison staff side.  Try to identify the person highest in the chain of command who is not constitutionally opposed to anything positive or constructive going on in the institution, and is not prejudiced against your group (the prisoners will know these things).  Try to get an appointment with that person and get authorization for NWC.  Of course, you won't get authorization for a prisoner to go on line, but if you can get authorization for use of the program, some way of registering to the institution or some civilian should be possible.  You may have to do without updates, but if you ar lucky enough to find someone with "juice" who takes a positive interest,  this may be possible too.  There are probably other activity programs in the institution that involve music, and some of these may also be able to use NWC.  Again, your clients will know about these things.  There are always things to go wrong in the system, but sometimes it is possible to do something constructive.  Does anyone know if there are any prison programs that do use NWC?