Skip to main content
Topic: tremolo (Read 7092 times) previous topic - next topic

tremolo

Is there a way to mark tremolo? For example turning a beamed group of equal repeated 16th notes, into a single "quarter note" with with diagonal stripes on its stem.

Re: tremolo

Reply #1
I have some font suites available...

See:
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/uc/pardypack/

Or see the Scripto:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html
for additional fonts.  The basic suite is also available here as separate downloads, but I recommend you use the installer from the Noteworthy site instead as it's just plain easier.

Official site with easy access instructions:
http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au/fontindex.html
All the fonts I've created for NWC are available here, but the installer was created by Noteworthy Software and is only available from the Noteworthy site.

To create your tremolo, first set up a user font:
a) |File|Page Setup|Fonts (tab)
b) Select a User Font location to use.
c) Click Modify
d) Select the font you want to use (SwingDings.ttf, MusikDingsSans.ttf, MusikDingsSerif.ttf are the ones to choose from)
e) Set the size (normally the same as "Staff Metrics" - experiment here for you own preferences)

Next, place the note then create a text entry immediately before the note and enter the text needed for the particular character/symbol required (there is now a useful character map tool to make this much easier).  This text entry will need to be vertically adjusted to suit.  Horizontal placement will also need to be set, try centred at next note/bar for a start.  Sometimes padding the text entry with spaces helps too.

Of course, this is a visual effect only, if you want it to sound right too you'll need a hidden/sounding staff with the tremolo written out.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Wow Lawrie, well done!
I managed to get a quite good result (I think), thanks. This is wat I have done to get 4 16th notes marked as tremolo:
1)Enter a quarter note; 2) Insert text: 1 space, then "q" Swingdings font 20. Justification: center; alignement: best fit forward, muted. 3) new staff, 4 beamed sixteen notes, unvisible, layer them to previous staff.
OK? or did I complicate things too much?

I see that people send attachments with samples, I can't find how, as I wanted to make m you proud of me with the result.

On the academic level, I would say that NWC programmers - like in many other cases - could have done us a favour by just including a suitable button in the menu, don't you think?
Reminds me of a story a story from Jewish folkolore: Once a king asked his sages to prepare a gartment for him, so that everybody would recognize him as the king by just seeing him wearing it. So they had a meeting: one proposed that they should make golden shoes for the king, of course nobody else has them. But then another sage objected that in case of rain there could be mud on the shoes, and people would fail to recognize the king by his golden shoes. So another sage suggested that they should be covered with bandages, so that the mud will not stain them. But then - some one else said - if there are bandages on the golden shoes how can we tell they are golden? So someone suggested to make a few holes so that the gold could be seen through the holes. But then again someone said that the mud would again cover the see-through holes... Eventually they found a solution: they would put some straw in the holes so the mud would not cover the shoes. So if you ever see someone wearing on his feet bandages with holes with straws coming out of them you can be sure you are in the presence of a king! :-)
Hope nobody will get offended...  

Reply #3
Thank you.  The primary motivation was for a handwritten imitation for jazz charts (check out the SwingDings sample chart on my site http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au).  The other fonts grew from that just 'cos I could.

I managed to get a quite good result (I think), thanks. This is wat I have done to get 4 16th notes marked as tremolo:
1)Enter a quarter note; 2) Insert text: 1 space, then "q" Swingdings font 20. Justification: center; alignement: best fit forward, muted. 3) new staff, 4 beamed sixteen notes, unvisible, layer them to previous staff.
OK? or did I complicate things too much?
I probably wouldn't have bothered with making the sounding stuff non-printing and layering, I'd have just removed it from the visible staves in PageSetup|Contents (tab), but each to their own.

I see that people send attachments with samples, I can't find how, as I wanted to make m you proud of me with the result.
Umm, I think you need to upgrade to NWC2User, as far as I know this is still the correct process:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5483.0
This is the second link in the first post of the previous link:
https://www.noteworthysoftware.com/order/authorize.php

On the academic level, I would say that NWC programmers - like in many other cases - could have done us a favour by just including a suitable button in the menu, don't you think?
There are lots of features I would like to see native.  Slowly they have been happening.  Implementation is at the discretion of Noteworthy but the wishlist (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.php) and this forum help establish priority though they do not guarantee anything.

Reply #4
Is there a way to mark tremolo? For example turning a beamed group of equal repeated 16th notes, into a single "quarter note" with with diagonal stripes on its stem.
You might try <this> method.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Lawrie,

I have downloaded your Pardy Pak and have used it somewhat. One of the features important to me is the tremelo or eigth/sixteenth hashmarks. I have gotten the hashmarks where I want them on the note stems, but when I print them out, they're in a different location!

Another thing is when using the Pardy Pak fonts, I use the text command. But when I select the appropriate Pardy font, the other text inserts go to the characters of the Pardy font, not the font that they were inserted with.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Reply #6
Hi John,

I know that you addressed your question to Lawrie, as the creator of the excellent Pardy fonts suite, but as a frequent user of the fonts, I thought I might try and help.

When placing the tremolo marks on the stem of a note, I would recommend that you make sure that the placement is at the next note/Bar in the notation properties and that the justification is Center.  Using that combination, I have not had the problems you report.

If you are not sure where these items are, go to Tools/Options/Editor and turn off Smart Properties insert.  Then when you enter text, you will now see a placement tab and these options are within that tab.

You say
when I select the appropriate Pardy font, the other text inserts go to the characters of the Pardy font, not the font that they were inserted with.
.....   I'm wondering if you appreciate how the fonts work.

You must assign a font to a User Number (1 to 6), and you must keep that font against that user number for all of the file.

So if you start using Times Roman on user1  it must always be Times Roman on User1.  If you later Change User1 to MusikDingsSerif then all of the previous text items that you created using user1 when it was Times Roman will now be MusikDingsSerif.

So once you have assigned and used a font against a user number, you must keep that combination.  If you need another font, then you have to use for example, User2 and assign a font to that.

You may of course know that, but it seems to me that this is what your problem is.

Rich.

Reply #7
Hi John,
Richard beat me to the punch (thanks mate!).  He response is pretty much what I would have surmised.

Reply #8
Thanks, guys. I'll give that a try.

John