Skip to main content
Topic: TempoEquation.ms 0.2 (Read 7088 times) previous topic - next topic

TempoEquation.ms 0.2

This is a tempo equation object, as discussed in this thread.  It has been modified to handle just single-note equations. The built-in help describes the various parameters.

To get started, paste this clip into NWC 2.75a or later, and go to Tools > Manage Objects... to install the plugin:

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|User|TempoEquation.ms|Pos:9.5|Right:"Eighth Dotted"
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|User|TempoEquation.ms|Pos:9.5|Left:"Eighth Dotted"|Center:N
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:Whole
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

As discussed in the aforementioned thread, the double-note equations (used for swing rhythms) are now part of the Tempo.ms object, which is described here.

I've included a few editing bells and whistles that I found useful while developing this. Besides the normal "spin" keys of + and - (which increase/decrease the scale factor), you can using the numeric keypad to toggle the various parameters:

1, 7 - toggle through left side values
3, 9 - toggle through right side values
0 - toggle "center on =" option
Z - set all parameters back to their default values (scale = 100%, quarter notes on each side, center on =)

Please let me know how you like this, and if there are any problems or additional features that I may have missed.

Re: TempoEquation.ms 0.1

Reply #1
In the two entries I tried, it seems to be almost perfect, Mike.  Thanks for creating this.

Usually the equation should be bracketed, so I think there should be an opening parenthesis, a little white space, the equation, a little more white space, and then the closing parenthesis.

Reply #2
Thanks for the kind words, and you're very welcome.

I just looked up tempo equations in Behind Bars, and they don't show brackets (parentheses) around them; they only show the parens for a numeric tempo marker that is not preceded/followed by text (the same as NWC's tempo marker).  Still, it would not be difficult to include an option for this, if there is a need for it.  However, BB also shows optional arrows on either side of the equation, which I could theoretically add. They also suggest centering the "=" on the barline, which I haven't done yet, but should probably do.

Reply #3
Hey Mike - I like!
I just looked up tempo equations in Behind Bars, and they don't show brackets (parentheses) around them; they only show the parens for a numeric tempo marker that is not preceded/followed by text (the same as NWC's tempo marker).  Still, it would not be difficult to include an option for this, if there is a need for it.  However, BB also shows optional arrows on either side of the equation, which I could theoretically add. They also suggest centering the "=" on the barline, which I haven't done yet, but should probably do.
I would like the option of parentheses, not sure about the arrows having not seen them in use AFAIK.  As for centreing the "=" on the barline, I think this would be desirable, however...  Would using the usual justification/placement options in NWC be a better alternative?  You know, Left; Centre; Right, at next note/bar; best fit; best fit forward; as staff signature, with the centreing based on the position of the "=" sign.  I only suggest this as I've seen situations where there was enough going on in the score that "collision avoidance" was necessary.  ;)
Certainly having the "=" centred at the barline should most definitely be the default.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Hi Lawrie - thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Regarding the NWC placement options: those are present for native items, like text, dynamics, etc., but unfortunately not for user objects. To implement those alignment options would take quite a bit of extra code.

Actually, while thinking about this, I came up with an idea that I think might work. In the examples I have seen in BB, the single note equations are centered on the '=' over the next bar, while the double note (swing rhythm) equations are rendered inline. Do you think that would make sense? Or, I could add a parameter to specify the alignment for either type. (Although to be honest, the single note equations would be easier to center than the double note ones.)

Reply #5
Don't know how helpful they'll be, but here are 3 live samples from my band folder. 

Reply #6
Those are actually very helpful. They suggest a further set of changes/enhancements:
  • Add a "text" parameter, which would precede the equation. If that text is non-blank, then put parens around the equation, as is currently done for the Tempo function (and Tempo.ms)
  • Potentially, merge this functionality with the existing Tempo.ms object, but only for the double note (swing) versions. And let TempoEquation.ms just handle the single note equations, including the centering on the barline around the '='.
Do either of the above make sense?

Reply #7
Hi Lawrie - thanks for the vote of confidence :)
No worries :)

Regarding the NWC placement options: those are present for native items, like text, dynamics, etc., but unfortunately not for user objects. To implement those alignment options would take quite a bit of extra code.
I kinda wondered if that might be the case - shame the NWC API/Libraries don't allow you to hook into that routine.

Actually, while thinking about this, I came up with an idea that I think might work. In the examples I have seen in BB, the single note equations are centered on the '=' over the next bar, while the double note (swing rhythm) equations are rendered inline. Do you think that would make sense? Or, I could add a parameter to specify the alignment for either type. (Although to be honest, the single note equations would be easier to center than the double note ones.)
That does make sense for the double note ones, but I'd still like to see "collision avoidance" capability for the single versions.  If that isn't going to work easily then it certainly isn't a deal breaker, and the "=" should definitely be centred on the barline.

Reply #8
Those are actually very helpful. They suggest a further set of changes/enhancements:
  • Add a "text" parameter, which would precede the equation. If that text is non-blank, then put parens around the equation, as is currently done for the Tempo function (and Tempo.ms)
  • Potentially, merge this functionality with the existing Tempo.ms object, but only for the double note (swing) versions. And let TempoEquation.ms just handle the single note equations, including the centering on the barline around the '='.
Do either of the above make sense?
I like this a lot!

Reply #9
and the "=" should definitely be centred on the barline.
...except when there's a system break, forced or naturally occurring? 

I don't have an opinion about centering the object over a bar line, but if you do that, sometimes you have to accomodate a lot of clutter at a system break (key and tempo changes, perhaps text for the title of the next tune in a medley.

The tool needs to be flexible for printing both a full score and separate instrumental/vocal parts.  The system breaks likely won't occur at the same measure number from part to part, since some parts have lots of notes and others have lots of multibar rests, so the clutter will differ for each system's breaks.

If I'm writing for lots of instruments, the object probably needs to automatically adjust for different clutter in each part, otherwise there's going to need to be too much line by line fine-tuning.

Would these challenges be accommodated with giving the user two choices:  1. Placement: Right Justify, As Staff Signature or 2. Placement: Left Justify?

Reply #10
To answer a few questions and give a status update, here is what I've decided to do. (Please note that some of these decisions are changes from what I originally planned to do, based on the comments I have gotten.)

• Contrary to the first version, the TempoEquation.ms object will now only handle the single note equations. There will be two alignment options: Left justify and center on '=', and the alignment will be specified by a parameter.  I am considering an additional option to add the forward/backward arrows, but so far no one has said they really want these.  I am likewise not planning to implement brackets/parens around single note equations, since the examples I have seen with these characters are all of the double-note variety.
  • The double note equations (e.g. "swing" rhythm) are being added to the Tempo.ms object, via new parameters and behaviors that will be backward compatible. This will permit Tempo.ms to display all of the swing rhythm examples that David posted, including brackets. There won't be any centering of equations over the '=', since none of the examples of double note equations that I've seen have done this.

Let me know if this sounds workable. I should have an updated TempoEquation.ms (single notes only) shortly, pending the addition of the forward/backward arrows.

Reply #11
Sounds right.

BTW, where is Tempo.ms found?

Reply #13
Thanks, Mike.

d

Reply #14
Brief historical note: tempo equations used to be placed after the barline (pre-1950s) with the new tempo on the left and the old tempo on the right. Common practice since then has been to place them with the equal sign over the barline and with each tempo on the side of the barline it goes with: old tempo on the left, new tempo on the right. There's been a recent discussion of this on the "Music Engraving Tips" Facebook page. So: left justified after the barline with the NEW tempo on the left if you want to emulate the old practice; centered over the barline with the OLD tempo on the left for the rest of us.

Reply #15
Thanks Bill. The new version of the object will support these two alignments, assuming the object is placed immediately before the barline. And since you have checked in, do you have a preference for the left/right arrows? (i.e. should I include an option to display them?)  I assume they would make the most sense for the centered alignment (i.e. current practice).

Also, the object calls them "left" and "right", not "old" and "new", so it should be clear which ones are being chosen, regardless of the vintage of the score.

Reply #16
Mike, I don't think the arrows are necessary.

Re: TempoEquation.ms 0.2

Reply #17
The object has been modified to render just single-note equations, and to support centering about the =. The parameter values have changed, so please remove and recreate any instances of this object in your scores.

Reply #18
Hi Mike

I'm interested in trying out this tool. I might need some coaching through the process... my brain feels a bit fried after starting a new position this month as a church music director. I've been writing a ton of music for my new choir and learning how to play the pipe organ!

Thanks for developing another useful contribution to NWC.

Reply #19
Hi Mike,

I didn't realize until today that you started a new thread for this object...  O:)
I just tried it out, and I must say: I like it, it's great! Thanks so much for your effort! Now I'm looking forward for the update on the Tempo.ms-object... :-)