Skip to main content
Topic: Staves do not always get assigned to stereo channels properly. (Read 3039 times) previous topic - next topic

Staves do not always get assigned to stereo channels properly.

For many years I've made teach tracks for various vocal harmony groups.  I set them up so that the part to be learnt is on one stereo channel (stereo balance = 127), with all other parts on the other stereo channel (stereo balance = 0).  Sometimes I have 10 or more staves.  Often, when using many staves, the parts that should be wholly at stereo balance = 0 can be heard on the other stereo channel.   Sometimes fiddling around with the stave to midi channel assignment will clear it up, but this often takes ages, and it is a bit frustrating.
Can anyone help me sort out this m, please?

Re: Staves do not always get assigned to stereo channels properly.

Reply #1
If two or more staves are on the same channel, but have different MIDI options (volume/pan, but also e.g. MIDI patch instructions) chaos will ensue - i.e., it is then not clear which staff will "win".
So, make always sure that staves that have differing pan (or other MIDI) options go to different MIDI channels ...

... which might be (little) a hassle on the synthesizer (DAW) side, as you might have to setup different tracks with identical instruments/voices. I usually map each (NWC) staff to its own (DAW) track because that helps to avoid such confusions.

H.M.

Reply #2
Thanks for reply.
I always set up each stave on a different midi channel (missing out 10, the percussion channel, obs), but I still sometimes get the midi channel appearing on the wrong stereo side!  Very strange!

Reply #3
Well, then ... my simple explanation is not good enough. I have never had such a problem - I do not tinker with the pan, but e.g. with volume; and there, each channel always kept to its own. Can you reproduce the effect (e.g. with an old NWC file)?

H.M:

Reply #4
I regularly set pan differently for different staves, especially if the staves have similar instruments, so that it's easier to aurally separate the voices of, say, a string quartet. I've never had the problem you mention. I have a hunch it's in your MIDI setup, or in the way your MIDI setup interacts with NWC, not in NWC itself.

Reply #5
I am of the same opinion as Bill...

Reply #6
I wondered if the fault lies in my sound card/midi set up, but I got a new computer in Oct 2019 and the problem still happens.  Maybe there is some midi output setting in NWC that I need to amend?  BTW, I appreciate you all replying. Thanks!

Reply #7
I rarely use such an exreme panning (0 and 127) but I never had problem, not with many staves nor with multiple staves with the same voice.
I also can't see any MIDI setting, other than "panning", to have such an effect.
A problem with the synth program?

Reply #8
Yes, could be a problem with the synth/midi/sound card, but why might it happen on different computers?

Reply #9
Personally I've never had this problem.  Could you post an example .nwc file that does this, including a specific description as to how that particular file misbehaves, so some of us can check to see if we're having the same problem on our own installations and if so, to analyse the file to try to help determine the cause.
<edit> - also, if it's setup for multiple synths please tell us that too.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
Hi All,
I'm so stupid!  The problem was a short in my jack plug.  Doh!
Thanks for all your good advice.
Peter.

Reply #11
I'm glad that you got this sorted out. I have just begun a new position as choral director and am looking at making some teaching tracks as well, so I've been thinking about the process. In general, what volume levels do you find are best when preparing these?
I have some other questions, which I will post separately.

Reply #12
I'm so stupid!  The problem was a short in my jack plug.
Don't feel stupid. Intermittent electrical problems are among the most difficult and frustrating to solve. Even with expensive test equipment, one can spend hours wading through piles of data to get a solution.
Registered user since 1996