Skip to main content
Topic: Edit window scrolling - one for the wishlist  (Read 2739 times) previous topic - next topic

Edit window scrolling - one for the wishlist

Our band received some donated music which is missing a score.  It's 353 bars long with parts for the full gamut of concert band instrumentation.   It's long out of print, so our conductor asked me if I'd write a score from the parts.  Foolishly, I said yes.

Where an instrument has more than one part (i.e., first, second, third, etc.) they often are parallel or at least have the same phrasing, note values, articulations and rhythms.  It is convenient to copy from one part to the other and do a little tweaking.

Having copied out the first 10 parts (Sharpeye didn't do very well this time) I'm at about bar 280 in the 11th.  The active bar in this 11th part is near the right edge of the edit window so I cannot see what is coming up in the preceding systems that I might copy into the active staff to save time re-notating tricky rhythms and articulations. 

I can see potential copyable bars in a preceding part if I move up a system, scroll right, copy what I need, and move back down to the active staff.

It would be really nice if the edit window could be set to scroll right and stop where the active bar is near the left side of the window.  
 That way the following bars in the preceding parts would be visible. 

Since not all users would want this, it should be something to toggle on or off.

One for the wish list, I think.  Not essential, but nice to have one day.

Re: Edit window scrolling - one for the wishlist

Reply #1
If you hover over the horizontal scroll bar, rolling the mouse wheel will get you there fairly quickly.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Thanks, Rick.  The wheel on my mouse doesn't do that for me (running on Windows 10) - perhaps the mouse is outdated (it's wireless and I've had it for a good 10 or 20 years) but I can scroll by moving the whatchamacallit in the horizontal scroll bar, or simply clicking in the blank space to the right of the whatchamacallit.

It isn't quite what I'm requesting, though.  I'm looking to see at a glance what's coming up in the next few bars in the systems above the active staff, without having to change staffs or use a mouse. 

As I say, nice to have, not need to have. 

Reply #3
I often add a "tail" of empty dummy measures for this - usually I fill them with a number of eighth breaks so that I can distinguish them optically from real empty measures (one could also add say red breaks). With ctrl-right, you can then scroll to the right to see what's there in other parts.

During editing, it so happens that I overwrite these dummy measures (copying down highlights and overwrites them) - then I have to add them again (a tool would be marginally helpful for this, but I have never written it ..).

This is also sometimes helpful if I write into lower staves when intermediate ones are still not filled (as it happesn during arranging); and I dont want to reorder the staves because I might get confused - see the attached example of "work in progress" on a Queen arrangement for crank organ.

H.M.

Reply #4
Maybe I don't understand the problem, but using the right arrow key I can scroll an active  shorter staff  until the end of it is on the left edge of the window.
Isn't that what you're asking for?
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #5
using the right arrow key I can scroll an active  shorter staff  until the end of it is on the left edge of the window.
Works for me. Mouse wheel works too.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Let me withdraw the wish.  I didn't pick up that just holding the right arrow while in the active (short) staff would scroll everything, as described by Opagust, but it does tonight. 

Good enough for me.  I don't need anything more. 

Thanks to all who participated.