Skip to main content

Topic: Test Release: nwc2musicxml (Read 3395 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Downgrade to 2.5.5

Test Release: nwc2musicxml
Posted a binary update/release of Nicolas Froment's ( @lasconic ) nwc2musicxml that can be run locally as a NWC User Tool:

https://github.com/nwsw/nwc2musicxml/releases/tag/test_0.3

In order to use this release, you must have installed Java SE (Java run-time environment).

If you download the included *.jar file, you can then configure it as a user tool from Tools, User Tool, New...

A screenshot of the configuration is attached.

Note: Updated to version test_0.3 on 02-Jun-2016
  • Last Edit: 2016-06-02 06:57 pm by NoteWorthy Online

Re: Test Release: nwc2musicxml
Reply #1
I have made a few test runs of the tool, but haven't tried to import the results into any other programs just yet. However, I've noticed a few anomalies:

1. If the score contains hairpins, text similar to the following will be printed in the STDOUT window prior to the XML:
Crescendo
Crescendo
Crescendo
Stop
Stop
Diminuendo
Stop
Diminuendo
Stop
Diminuendo
Stop
Stop
Stop
Stop

2. I received an exception when running this for one score:

Code: [Select · Download]
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "9.5"
 at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.model.Tempo.parse(Tempo.java:49)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.convert.Nwc2MusicXML.processLine(Nwc2MusicXML.java:550)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.convert.Nwc2MusicXML.convert(Nwc2MusicXML.java:80)
 at fr.lasconic.nwc2musicxml.convert.Nwc2MusicXML.main(Nwc2MusicXML.java:1519)
It appears to have been caused by a Tempo object with Pos:9.5. Changing the Tempo object's position to an integer value prevents the exception.

Reply #2
I have made a few test runs of the tool, but haven't tried to import the results into any other programs just yet.

In my experience, a successful import depends largely on the source material. I am not necessarily going to fix all of the possible problems. This is largely provided as-is.

I updated the release to test_0.11, which includes the fixes for your reported issues.

Reply #3
I've tried this out and it provided an xml score that loaded successfully into another music program.
This was not without errors (such as missing fermata, missing accidentals ) .  But given the following :

This is largely provided as-is.
I'm not sure that I want to spend time checking between source and output and then documenting errors, particularly since the opposite conversion of mxml to nwc2 , that I would find much more useful, does not appear to be on the cards.

Rich.

Reply #4
the opposite conversion of mxml to nwc2 , that I would find much more useful, does not appear to be on the cards.

IMHO Both are useful and both should be on the cards.  Maybe for version 3.0 ?

Test Release: nwc2musicxml test_0.2
Reply #5
In this update:

• new -utsave option for saving directly to an xml file
  • basic support for note beams

Reply #6
<snip>
In order to use this release, you must have an up to date Java run-time environment installed on your machine.
<snip>
Damn - I have some Cisco tools I MUST use that will not run in current Java releases - I need to be about 3 years (currently) out of date :(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals 'n youfonymums - gonna lern tubies next

Reply #7
You can install and use multiple JRE versions.

Reply #8
Thanks Eric,
when my head is up to it I'll take a closer look.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals 'n youfonymums - gonna lern tubies next

Reply #9
I changed the build target to Java SE 6, and then rebuilt the tool. Perhaps that will help...

Reply #10
Wonderful!!!  Worked a treat.

Thanks mate :D :D :D

• Haymo
  • Virtuoso
Reply #11
Thanks  - it will be great when conversion NWC <---> XML is available natively in NWC

Reply #12
Looks promissing. How can I use it to try it out?
I downloaded the "update" from reply #5; I only received a warning when I used the user tool.
test_0.11 from reply #2? or the earlier "included *jar file?
I'm a layman in these matters.

Reply #13
How can I use it to try it out?

I am looking at ways to make this easier.

Reply #14
This has been updated to fix issues with notes in the Tenor clef.

Reply #15
Quick question: Is there a way to set the default output directory? It automatically goes to My Documents and I would like to set another one as default if possible.

Reply #16
I just updated http://nwc2musicxml.appspot.com/ with the fixes made by "Noteworthy Online" and a couple other fixes. It also have a new UI. Enjoy!

Reply #17
And another update. The converter now supports Coda, Segno and voltas. Thanks to Tim Hedger-Gourlay.
http://nwc2musicxml.appspot.com/

Reply #18
lasconic, thanks a ton for this converter!  Unfortunately, it doesn't correctly assign lyrics to notes when different lyric lines use different voices to reflect a change in rhythm from one verse to another.  Which makes almost every real converted file unusable without a large amount of additional work.  Any chance you could fix that?  ( I don't know java or have any working knowledge of the .nwctxt format, otherwise I'd help.)