Skip to main content
Topic: Things I Don't Know  (Read 2840 times) previous topic - next topic

Things I Don't Know

I have been thinking about the things that I don't know how to do in NWC.

One of them is part printing/set up.

I have been doing this by hand - preparing a separate part based on the master score. Basically, I delete all the other parts and save under the single part (ex. "flute only" or "choral only" or "voices only" as opposed to "choral flute piano" I think there is an easier way to do this, but I don't know how yet. I found this thread but it is 7-9 years old. Could someone please update the topic or let me know if this still applies?

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2316.msg56422#msg56422

Another mystery to me, and this may be related, is how to use the visibility options. I have only ever used Default and Never. What's up with all the  other settings?

Thanks

Re: Things I Don't Know

Reply #1
Perhaps the easier way you are looking for is to go to Page Setup (the "open book" icon, or File > Page Setup...) and then navigate to the Contents tab. From there, you can mark individual staves as visible or invisible. If you have grouped your staves, then you can hide/unhide them by checking/unchecking the group.  There is also a checkbox where you can toggle layering on/off. From that tab, you can click the Preview... button to see how the score will look when it's printed.

If you save the score with certain staves hidden, it will remember those settings, so you would need to toggle the boxes back on later if you want a complete score again.

I hope that helps,

Mike

Reply #2
If your tempo track has the tempos and rehearsal symbols (if needed), it can be layered into the part you are printing.  To print parts for the next instrument, hide the one you just did and unhide the next one.  Mike has good advice on how to hide/unhide staves.
Since 1998

Reply #3
how to use the visibility options. I have only ever used Default and Never. What's up with all the  other settings?
I do not use any visibility setting other than: Default, Always and Never.

The other settings help users that are trying to create printable versions of the score and parts in one file. I am not one of those users.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
...Another mystery to me, and this may be related, is how to use the visibility options. I have only ever used Default and Never. What's up with all the  other settings?

One of the most useful visibility settings for me is "top staff only," particularly for rehearsal letters, tempo markings, etc.  Generally I copy those to all the staffs, and when I select the staff or staffs to display/print, these marks will only print on the top staff, although they will be visible (faintly) on all the other staffs showing in the edit window .  When I select another staff or set of staffs to display/print, they're present on the new top staff. 

I find the visibility settings a little complicated for the multibar rest feature.  For me it's always a bit of trial and error.

Reply #5
I find the visibility settings a little complicated for the multibar rest feature.  For me it's always a bit of trial and error.
This is my tool for creating and hiding multi-measure rests: wjporter.com/nwc/mmr.js. That tool didn't include installation instructions.  Back up a level (remove /mmr.js) and look at the right hand column.  It creates MMR's with different levels of visibility and can back out MMRs as well.
Since 1998

Reply #6
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks, Mike, for your quick and easy method to printing parts. I forgot that was an option and it would be a good way to ensure that the parts are the most current version, rather than having a separate file languishing while I make edits to the main score. I have been caught with my "notes down" before when I forgot to update the file.

You've given me a few things to think about:

Tempo Tracks - I am inconsistent with using one. Sometimes I just include the tempos in one or all of the parts I am writing. It's visually messy unless I hide some of them. My concern is that when I am printing just a part, that the tempo wouldn't be there, but can I control that with the visibility settings if it is on a tempo track? Same thing with the rehearsal letters, which I do use. I figured out that I can include them in different staves and set the visibility to print when it's just that part being printed, but can I also just put the rehearsal mark in the tempo track as well and set the visibility for printing? I think that Warren and David are doing it differently, and I am wondering if there are pros and cons of each approach?

Thanks again for your help with this. I have been a NWC user since version 1 and am still learning how to use the new and not so new advanced features. Did I miss a tutorial or document that explains everything? I've worked through the version 2.75 materials that I could find and they were still quite basic.

Reply #7
Working example: Download and open vivconc2m.html from Scriptorium. Hide everything except for Tempo and Viola.  Instant viola part. Hide the viola and show 2nd violin. Same thing.  All parts have tempo indications and text from the tempo line.  Although each part has measure numbers, I sometimes add them as text at the start of a phrase where a conductor might want to start in a rehearsal.
Since 1998

Reply #8
Thank you, Warren, for the example. When I did just cello and conductor, there were a few things that I'd have to adjust in the cello part.