Skip to main content
Topic: Playback problem in Linux (Read 3605 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback problem in Linux

I've just updated both my OS and Noteworthy. I'm currently on Linux Mint 19 and Noteworthy 2.75

There's no playback. When I check the midi tab in the Tools/Options menu, the only offer is midi through port 0 which is no good. I have Timidity installed and other software plays midi OK. I also have an external midi module with a USB interface and if I plug that in, it shows as an available device and it plays back OK.

With v2.5 the available devices window used to show both Timidity and the Wine midi mapper but neither are there now.

A plea to Linux users. How do I solve this as I really don't know what to try next.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Re: Playback problem in Linux

Reply #1
Goeff,

I am using Linux Mint version 19.1 ("Tessa") and NWC 2.71a and had the same problem.

I found this solution to play midi through NWC (provided that you have Timidity installed, which you said that you do):

1.  In TERMINAL, copy and paste into terminal the following line and press Enter:
             timidity -iA
2. Then, run noteworthy composer in WINE  and choose the "MIDI Through Port 0" in Options/MIDI

It works for me.

Noel

Reply #2
Hey! I'm on Linux Mint 19, too. Didn't realize that 19.1 was out ... better get on that. Anyway, that's what I have to do, too. I have a timidity.sh file on my desktop that just has that one line in it. I run that and then open NoteWorthy Composer. When I'm done I close NWC and then close my terminal window.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #3
Is it worth putting that line in the script that starts wine or doesn't it work like that?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
the shortcuts on Linux mint are much like on windows, where you get a one-liner for everything. I don't see any obvious way of running timidity first. But then again, I'm not up to a lot of fooling - it works, so I'm happy :-)
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #5
A shell script with the appropriate commands and a shortcut pointing to the script?

All same as a windoze shortcut pointing to a batch file...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Well OK, you win. I've hacked together this little script

Code: [Select · Download]
killall timidity
timidity -iA &
env WINEPREFIX="/home/fjb/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix "/home/fjb/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Noteworthy Software/NoteWorthy Composer 2/NWC2.exe"

The first line makes sure that we don't end up with multiple timidity process, since I can't figure out how to close timidity when the program exits.

The second line runs timidity and sends it to the background so that we can move on to the next line.

And of course, the 3rd has some Francis-specific path names.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #8
Sorry for not responding. Life took over and I forgot about this for a while.

I put together a script similar to Francis but I'm not much further forward. At least Timidity shows up in the Midi devices but still silence. I notice the wine midi mapper is still not present so I don't know what's happened to that. It was what I used in NWC2.5 and worked fine.
Playing back through my external midi player works fine so I can use that for the time being but I have to connect it to the computer (via USB) and turn it on at the mains too. having internal playback ready to go is useful for checking purposes. The external device gives better audio quality and is more comprehensive since Timidity seems to rely on freepats which does not implement the full standard midi patches.

Has anyone tried using fluidsynth with NWC at all?

I suspect some of the problem is a wine issue rather than a NWC one.
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK